Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange problems after virus/power outage.

• Please log in to reply

sehapanda

sehapanda

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I got another one of those surprise computer viruses (the ones that pose as antivirus software). I don't know what came over me, but I tried to stop it (I have fixed these before, but I didn't want to go through it again). I instantly deleted everything from Firefox just in case and shut my computer off. It started up, but the virus came back and more than half of my icons were missing. I shut my computer off, started it up in Safe Mode, and eventually found and deleted the infected files with AntiMalware. When I restarted my computer, it was really slow, and it took a while to connect to the internet. I decided to do a System Restore (with some difficulty getting it to start) and decided to choose this morning as a point. It put back SOME of the icons, but left more out, and it was even slower. Desperate, I then tried again, but picked a few days ago to when I did a Windows Update. This was the first time it was able to connect to the internet. More of my icons are back (they all show up for a split-second upon start up), and it seems to be faster, but now there are some problems with Dropbox and other random applications. I was sure the virus or my intervention was to blame, but I remember restarting my computer this morning and it didn't seem to want to connect to the internet either for a while. So now, I don't know what's worse. If this was caused by a nasty virus, or by some intense power-outage action my neighborhood suffered last night. Can anybody help with any of these problems?

I rebooted and checked my disk, but nothing came up. When it restarted again, it seems to boot up much faster. It gets progressively better each time I restart, but is that really a valid solution?

Also, I'm upgrading soon (new video card and new hard drive), so if I really have to reformat I will. I really have nothing to lose, since most of my documents are on an external drive and most of my games/programs are on Steam or could be backed up. The only thing I have a problem with is my anti-virus software, I'm on my last license of Avast :D. If I back it up, will it still work? I have the actual file left on my external drive...

Edited by sehapanda, 05 April 2011 - 05:12 PM.

Advertisements