Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Want to upgrade, but have questions

• Please log in to reply

echet

echet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
That did explain things better. I think I'm gonna hold off on that, but keep my eye on it and see how the reviews are once it's released.

Advertisements

echet

echet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Okay, I've purchased the final components, including the Antec 1200 case.

One final round of questions for you guys. I've been reading about some other things that some computer-building guides recommend buying and others don't even mention, specifically thermal compound/paste and a magentic bracelet. I don't know about the bracelet as it's easy enough to keep yourself grounded while working on a computer. But, I know nothing about thermal compound. Some places make it seem a vital part of the operation while others don't say anything about it. What are your opinions on usuing these and is there anything else similar to these things I should be looking into?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Thermal paste is definitely necessary. Most of the time it will come with a new cooler if you purchase one.

We do have a sticky with info on thermal paste here:
http://www.geekstogo...rface-material/

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Boxed CPUs usually come with a pre applied thermal pad. I always remove it and apply my own.

There are very few comparison studies done. This is about the latest I have found comparing more than 3 products.

> http://benchmarkrevi...d=150&Itemid=62

I take anti static measures by just touching the bare metal of the case.

echet

echet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Somehow I managed to not even think about checking this board for info on thermal paste. Thanks guys, I got some coming. Hopefully I can start the build this week.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks guys, I got some coming. Hopefully I can start the build this week

Your welcome. Don"t rush.

Please post on the forum how the build goes, results, as well as us sticky beaking, it may help others when looking for advise.

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
A decent SSD will read and write much faster than hard drive. Cost is currently about $2.10/GB, so not everyone will want to purchase a 320GB SSD. In this case, the OS and some apps are installed on the SSD and a HDD is used for storage.

Leave 15GB unpartitioned space for the Linux distro. Most installers should see it and provide options from there.

Generally two case fans of the same CFM rating, mounted front and rear, are sufficient.

8GB RAM is plenty for 99% of us. You'll need a 64 bit version of Windows to utilize all of it.

Office 2003 is compatible with Windows 7.

echet

echet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Leave 15GB unpartitioned space for the Linux distro. Most installers should see it and provide options from there.

Does the Windows installation do the partitioning (or at least have options to make partitions) or do I wait until the OS is all installed first then start breaking it up? And just to be clear, that's 15GB on the SSD, right?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
There are lots of different methods, advice, on installing and setting up SSD drives. Older models did have problems but the newer ones seem to have ironed those out now.

My advice would be to read the instruction that come with you SSD and if it seems straight forward, proceed.

The following is paranoiac.

I only install the OS, firewall, Anti virus, (no other programs) Update all drivers EXCEPT Video, Graphics, these often cause problems.
If everything is stable after a couple of days I then create a small partition at the end of the Data drive and take a backup image of the OS © drive and insure there is an emergency start up disk.
Then I install everything else and if stable, take another image..

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Partitioning can be done when you're first installing Windows, or it can be done with Disk Management after Windows has been installed.

Be certain to install Windows before Linux, as Windows will hose the MBR upon installation.

Yes, 15GB on the SSD.

Advertisements

echet

echet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Thanks guys, I got some coming. Hopefully I can start the build this week

Your welcome. Don"t rush.

Please post on the forum how the build goes, results, as well as us sticky beaking, it may help others when looking for advise.

Should I create a new topic for the build itself for questions, progress, etc?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Should I create a new topic for the build itself for questions, progress, etc?

No, better for it to be continuous. There are over 800 views for this topic, lots will actually be following ti, so if problems occur the more solutions put forward the better.

echet

echet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
The build is going well so far. Free time is hard to come by so I've been doing bits and pieces each day. After about a week, I've got the motherboard in, CPU and heatsink attached, RAM inserted, PSU mounted. I had to swap out the motherboard I/O panel that came wih the case for the one that came with the motherboard. Tricky, but not to difficult. Also, something for newbie builders to watch for, I had tried to install the motherboard standoffs into the pre-installed motherboard standoffs only to find the motherboard's I/O ports didn't match with the panel. I gave up using the standoffs and started to freak out after finding out they were absolutley necessary, but before figuring out they were already installed.

I have a few questions now. First, the front panel USB ports have seperate cords for USB 2.0 and USB 3.0. The USB 2.0 cord splits into two and have plugs that fit into the motherboard's 10-pin USB slots. The USB 3.0 cord is a single cable that ends with a standard male USB plug. I don't see anywhere to plug this in other thn wrapping it around the outside of the back of the case and into a USB port there. It seems like the fronts ports are either 2.0 or 3.0 and there is no immediate need for USB 3.0 now, but how would I connect this to the motherboard? I don't see any cables/adapters included with either the case or motherboard that would do the trick.

I've got three fans (120 mm) in the front and 2 fans (120 mm) in the back. Is it okay/safe to nest their power plugs into the same molex connector from the PSU, (one each for front and back) or should each fan get its own power connection?

The front panel audio port has either AC97 or HD Audio plugs and only one can be connected. Which should I use? I don't plan on having a surround sound system plugged into the front of the computer, but would headphones sound better with the HD connected?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hello, sounds like you are having fun.

1) USB 3.0 - sounds like it is supposed to plug directly into the back of the motherboard? Either way if you don't need it you could leave it disconnected. Or if you are able, leave a PCI slot cover off (one that is not needed) so it can run out the back through there and connect it up, or going a step again you could manually drill a hole in one of the PCI slot covers so that it's just enough for the cable to fit through and still have it mostly covered up.

2) My fans are all joined together in a big line, it's fine.

3) If everything is new then use the HD Audio connection and tie the AC'97 one back up the cable a bit.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
One of my Motherboards came with an extra USB and Fire wire bracket which would fit in a PCI outlet at the back of the PC, It has a female plug so would fit on pins on the Mobo or could be connected to a male socket.

You did make sure that the pre installed standoffs in the case matched exactly the screw holes in the motherboard and that there were no extra ones left over?
If one is left there it is the most common fault for a PC NOT to post as it causes a fault and the computer shuts down, usually within 1 or 2 seconds.