Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer shuts down randomly

• Please log in to reply

islandcat

islandcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
maybe this is it??computerinfo.JPG

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep screenshot showed up fine. The voltage on both the 3.3+ and 12+ volt rails look to be low.
This may be a cause of your shut downs. :D
I would suggest trying another PSU of at least the same wattage you have now to make sure.

islandcat

islandcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
wow you are the best. Do you mean try another plug in? or power bar?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope what I mean is the Power Supply Unit inside your computer seems to be faulty and needs to be replaced.
Take a look at this page HERE which has a nice tutorial with pictures to show what I am talking about.

islandcat

islandcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Holy smokes, thats big. So I guess you are saying the psu was never big enough for this computer, it was made as a gaming computer so I am guessing the components are bigger than an average computer? Well I appreciate you staying with me through this, and I will look into buying a bigger one by the advice on the web page you told me to go to, as far as installing it myself well I'll have to think about that, I would like the challenge but have a vision of me and wires tangled up lol. Thanks will be back.....

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
NO PSU's are nothing more then a electrical component which will fail or become faulty eventually.
Some last for years and others fail quicker.
Now one thing that will help is to get a name brand good PSU with enough wattage to handle your present and any future power needs.
It really isn't that hard to do as you have 1 maybe 2 connections to the motherboard. Then a power connector to your hard drive, dvd drive and some little lights and switches theat have to be connected.
If you take your time you can do it.
You can also use this Tutorial HERE written byu one of our own Techs on how to build your own system. There is a section about installing the PSU and the connections with lots of pictures to follow along with.

islandcat

islandcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Hi, just thought I would let you know where I am now. I took computer in and had a new fan installed. It was clogged with dust and not turning very well. Hope I can just show you screen shot and get your opinion if I did the right thing.

Attached Thumbnails

• print screen new fan.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
NICE!!!!! :D That looks more like what you want to see..
How is the shutdown issue now?

islandcat

islandcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Oh Thank you so much. Have only had computer back two days and been working lots but the time I have been on it have not, fingers crossed, had no shut downs. Heres hoping. While I have the chance, again I have to thank you for all your help, you guys are awesome. You have saved me so much over the past years, you do a great job.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations islandcat. :D for a successful resolution for your issue.

I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :D :D

Advertisements

islandcat

islandcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Just as an update, you were right, after having a new fan installed computer shut down and wouldnt start up again. So new PSU installed. Told the tech after now spending over $300. we are done, will trade it in for $800 laptop. He jumped at that.
anyway thanks again, and you were right in the end.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you for letting me know. I hope the laptop works out for you. If you need assistance in the future please come back to see us. We will be happy to help.. :)