Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Build check please

• Please log in to reply

crictor

crictor

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello I'm building a PC for an architecture student so she can have something fast to do all of her projects on so I would just like someone to take a look and see if I might have any conflicts or words of caution. I would like the PC to be very reliable so she.. and I for that matter... dont have to worry about it.

MB: GIGABYTE GA-M68MT-S2P AM3 NVIDIA GeForce 7025/nForce 630a chipset Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto 3.2GHz Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Desktop Processor
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Desktop Memory Model F3-8500CL7D-8GBRL
vid card: EVGA 512-P3-N841-RX GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
case: HEC 6K28BBX585 Black 0.8mm SECC Steel MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case 585W Power Supply

plus other things like optical drive and quieter fans but the price comes to about 351.93 w/o OS.

What do you think? Think i could put this together and not have problems down the road??

PS: The programs that she will be mainly using for this PC are: office, Adobe Creative Suite Premium 5, AutoCAD Architecture, AutoCAD Revit 2010 and AutoCAD 3DS Max, 3D Rhinocerous 4.0, and the OS will be Windows 7.... 64bit or 32 version?

Thanks!!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi crictor :D
The overall build looks ok and as long as you don`t get a bad MB like some people did from Newegg
then the GIGABYTE GA-M68MT-S2P AM3 NVIDIA GeForce 7025/nForce 630a looks like a bargain, the CPU
is another good choice.
You havn`t mentioned the HDD in your OP, what option are you considering, are you aware that any
HDD or optical drive/s must be the SATA type as the MB does not have an IDE socket.
Definitely recommend a 64-bit OS as opposed to the 32-bit.

crictor

crictor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the input. I did read the feedback on that MB but I figure its worth the risk because gigabyte MB are known for quality.
The HDD:

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Drive:

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

They are both Sata.. I could probably go with a smaller HDD to cut down on the cost

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
I would say you are good to go, unless absolutely necessary to change it I would stick with the 500GB HDD as the difference in the cost is not that much (I prefer the black version HDD myself) what OS have you decided on 64 or 32-bit?
Unless you go for the 64-bit having more than 3.5GBs of Ram is a waste, see below;

•More ram memory can be utilized with a 64 bit OS. 32 Bit OS is only capable of using 3.5 gigs where a 64 bit system can do as much as 192 gigs of memory.

•Faster system using a 64 bit OS

•More secure then a 32 bit

•Better graphics

Thanks to RonShaffer61 for the Ram information.

Edited by phillpower2, 07 April 2011 - 03:58 PM.

crictor

crictor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Oh sorry... I was going to go with 64 bit windows 7. It was just a concern with the software she's running but Im pretty sure its all compatible by now. Well Looks like Ill go ahead and give this one a go, thanks for the help!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for the update and good luck.