Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

remove old services

• Please log in to reply

dsm

dsm

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
I recently attempted to install a trial version of AVG Anti virus software. On multiple attempts to install it failed. I have since installed Norton. On veiwing the services recently I noticed 2 entries which appear related to the AVG software. I haven't been able to find any literature on how to get rid of these entries. Any suggestions ?

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Does AVG show up in add/remove programs? If so uninstall it there. Otherwise, you could search for all instances of ave antivirus on your computer and the delete what you find.

dsm

dsm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Thanks for your reply Austin.
No, AVG did not show up in the add/remove programs and I can't recall if there were any files left in an obvious dedicated AVG directory, however there are none now. I may have deleted some files at the time. The only apparant evidence of AVG is the entries in the "services" table.

I rechecked and deleted the following files today from c:\windows\system32\drivers >> avg7core.sys > avg7rsw.sys > avg7rsxp.sys

I refreshed the services view but they still appear;
AVG7 Alert Manager Server
AVG7 Update Service

Regards
David

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you could use hijackthis to pinpoint the files,

then
start > run
services.msc
enter

and stop the services, then use hijack to refer the registry settings and then finally the files can be deleted manually in explorer.

You could also manually edit the registry, but the above is safer

dsm

dsm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Thanks Gerry,
I didn't follow your instructions exactly, but the HijackThis program you suggested is definitely good value.

I used the function Config > Misc Tools > Delete an NT Service

My problem is resolved.
Thanks Again.