Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Accidentally set 2nd monitor as default monitor and disabled it

• Please log in to reply

kaunyin88

kaunyin88

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi.

I was connecting my Toshiba Satellite A105 to my TV with a S-Video cable and I couldn't get the input on to my TV. I started poking around with the Display settings and finally was able to make the connection work.

Unfortunately, I accidentally set my default display to the 2nd monitor, and then disabled the 2nd monitor, the 2nd monitor disappeared from the Display settings. I'm trying to reset my Plug and Play 1st monitor as the default and reinstall the 2nd monitor back to the display settings.

I need help.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
Which operating system are you using?

Can you start in VGA mode or Safe Mode? When your computer is starting, keep pressing F8 and you will see the choice to do so.

If you can boot in either VGA mode or Safe Mode, try to undo the settings.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
If you are saying that you have no display try pressing the Fn and F5 keys.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

If you are saying that you have no display try pressing the Fn and F5 keys.

Right - not sure if that is a de facto standard but on my Toshiba, Fn + F5 cycles through the "Power on display options". You may have to press the key combinations several times to cycle back to where you want to be.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Digerati is correct, pressing the same 2 keys on my Vaio laptop adjusts the brightness (I did have to check though :D )

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

I did have to check though

I did too. My notebook's F keys also have little somewhat descriptive icons of the function. The F5 has two monitors.

kaunyin88

kaunyin88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
My operating system is Windows XP Media Center Edition, I think.

I'll give the F8 or the Fn+F5 a try.

kaunyin88

kaunyin88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
GeekU, thanks for the F8 advise, it totally worked. I restored the computer using the Safe Mode.

I'm back to the beginning. I can't get my TV to mirror the laptop monitor, without messing up my laptop monitor again.

>>>I go to my Control Panel

>>>Click on Appearance and Themes

>>>Display -> Settings -> Advanced (Plug and Play Monitor on Intel® 945GM Express Chipset Family)

It's here where I get a little lost.

>>>I click on the Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator for Mobile -> Graphics Properties

When I make changes in this screen that's when things go wrong.

I still need help.

Does anyone know how to get my TV to become a secondary monitor? I need to know what settings and which monitor to change the settings on. Thanks.

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
hi,
hope this link helps

http://www.microsoft...lemonitors.mspx

Edited by devper94, 10 April 2011 - 06:41 PM.