Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to install Windows 7 64 bit - GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD3-B3 mobo

• Please log in to reply

wellfed

wellfed

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD3-B3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Graphics card: Radeon HD 4850 512MB

RAM: Corsair Dominator CMP4GX3M2A1600C8

Hard drive: Kingston 64GB V-Series SSD / WD Caviar SE 80GB

PSU: Corsair HX520

CD/DVD player: Pioneer DVR-S19LBK

Hi - I have a very similar problem to ilikepaste (Computer will not install OS), however this has been resolved as a media issue. I also have a Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit ISO burned to DVD - this came from the Software4Students website last year and has been used on the previous build prior to upgrading to Sandy Bridge. I have downloaded and reburned the ISO to ensure it wasn't a dodgy quality copy.

System starts okay and I can install Windows. It goes through the installation process and restarts getting to the initial Windows 7 splash screen and the screen flickers and the monitor enter standby. Subsequent restarts gets the 'Windows wasn't shut down correctly' screen; selecting Safe Mode complains that Windows has not completed installation; selecting load normally ends with the splash screen freezing and the monitor going into standby. Fans remain on as with ilikepaste.

I have a couple of original Windows 7 Home Premium DVDs and neither the 32 or 64 bit versions load. Bizarrely, an original copy of Windows XP works fine as does Ubuntu 10.10 live distro.

Have tested RAM with MemTest and it's fine. CPU and SSD/SATA HD are showing correctly in BIOS.

Getting to the end of my tether with this! There is only a graphics card, the SSD (or the SATA drive - checked both to ensure it wasn't one or the other)and a Pioneer DVD drive attached.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi wellfed :D
Which drive is the OS on the Kingston or the WD?
You may find this info helpful http://club.myce.com...ssd-faq-297856/

Rediah

Rediah

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Hello wellfed:

Just my zero cents - it could be a firmware issue, do you have the latest BIOS version?

Edited: Corrected the name of Original Poster

Edited by Rediah, 10 April 2011 - 05:56 AM.

wellfed

wellfed

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi phillpower

Thanks for the quick response. I have tried installing on both the SSD and the SATA. Both have worked previous to installing the new mobo - but thanks for the link as it is very useful. I think it could possibly be a media issue but the copy of W7 Pro 64 bit has been used previously with no drama, and I have downloaded another copy and burned that as well. The fact that other original W7 DVDs don't install but XP does is also causing some headscratching at Chez Wellfed! The issues seem to mirror those of ilikepaste, but now perplexed as the media was previously good and proven.

I'll try another copy onto different blank media this time.

Thnaks for your help

Hi Rediah

Thanks - have updated BIOS to latest version and still the problem exists

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
This is strange :D

I'll try another copy onto different blank media this time

Good idea, some drives do not like certain brands of disk (again strange I know).
As an outside possibility do you have another GFX card you can try just in case
the present one is causing the system to crash before the OS and necessary drivers
have been installed.

EDIT: Latest drivers for W7 available from; http://support.amd.c...&ostype=Windows 7 - 64-Bit Edition

Edited by phillpower2, 10 April 2011 - 04:53 AM.

wellfed

wellfed

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks again. Reburning the image to a different brand of blank DVD as we speak. I've got an old HD4350 which I'll try again - it had the same problem when I tried earlier in the week, but have made some changes since then. I'm hoping that it's not an issue with ATI cards, but I really can't see that.

Will update with outcome later today :-)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Ok we will await your update and good luck.

wellfed

wellfed

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Update: Confirmed that the media is good, having burned image onto two other brands of blank DVD. By moving the graphics cards around as suggested, I did manage to complete an install using the HD4350, however once at the Windows desktop, there is a prompt to restart...... and once that is done, the same old situation happens with the freezing Windows 7 boot screen!

Now I have an install of Windows I can see where the problem appears to be in the nbbtlog file and it seems to be here:

'Did not load driver @hal.inf,%acpi_amd64.devicedesc%;ACPI x64-based PC'

I'm beginning to think that it's an issue with the graphics cards - grateful for any other thoughts. I can now get in via Safe Mode which is progress!

wellfed

wellfed

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Resolved: Final update to the saga. Having replaced the ATI cards with an NVidia card, all is working perfectly. Very peculiar - particularly as both ATI cards work fine on a W7 64 bit build on an AMD mobo!

Thanks phillpower2 for your patience and the graphics card pointer. Much appreciated

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Congratulations wellfed on finding a successful resolution and thank you for posting the solution, it may help others in the future.
I have seen the AMD/Radeon/Intel/NVidea crossover conflict in the past and that was why I suggested trying another GFX card, anyhow thank you for allowing me to assist you and for choosing GTG enjoy the forums :D