Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wired Internet Not Connecting

• Please log in to reply

Walrus5241

Walrus5241

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hey guys,

For whatever reason, as of Tuesday afternoon my laptop can no longer connect to wired internet. I am a college student (NYU), so I cannot access a modem or router myself. I have tried:
-Plugging my cord into another jack in my dorm room
-Using my roommate's ethernet cord
-Taking my cord and laptop to different areas on campus (library, other dorms, etc) that use different wired networks, and attempted connection there

Worth noting is that I can still connect to wireless internet just fine (however, my dorm does not have wireless, making things very difficult for me).

Also worth noting is that it appears to connect to the network, but with "Limited or no connectivity." I cannot connect to the internet at all.

My ethernet adapter is a Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller. It was just updated today, in hopes that maybe it was a driver issue (Prior, it was a Realtek 8168C/8111C, whatever that means). All drivers have green checks next to them and appear to be working. Here is my IPConfig info:

Description : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address : 00-1E-EC-55-91-1F
DHCP Enabled : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled : Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address : 169.254.26.193
Subnet Mask : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway : (blank)

I am running Windows XP Service Pack 3. My laptop is a custom-built CyberPower PC. I have done a Malwarebytes Scan, SuperAntiSpyware Scan, and Avast Anti-Virus scan, and have turned up no malware or viruses. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Walrus5241, 10 April 2011 - 04:26 PM.

Advertisements

etaf

etaf

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
what firewall do you have on the PC that maybe blocking

First - try a TCP/IP reset - see below
second - try in safemode with networking - as the PC starts keep tapping F8 - a menu appears choose safemode with networking see if it connects via ethernet now

It may be avast - had that before with antivirus - so make a NOTE of the KEY you are using on avast and you could uninstall and re-install

------------------------------------------------------------------------

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2/SP3.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands:

Note: Type only the text in bold for the following commands.

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults, type: netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults, type: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reboot the machine.

Post back the results here
rightclick in the box
select all
enter
control key + C key - to copy
then reply here and
control key + V to paste
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rediah

Rediah

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Worth noting is that I can still connect to wireless internet just fine (however, my dorm does not have wireless, making things very difficult for me).

Also worth noting is that it appears to connect to the network, but with "Limited or no connectivity." I cannot connect to the internet at all

Since you are able to connect using wireless, but not with wired, if I were you I would have checked with Network Administrator first