Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista won't boot

• Please log in to reply

cyberdyne

cyberdyne

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Hi all,
I have done a silly thing. I had two partitions on my laptop. One was my main 60+GB NTFS Vista partition and the other was a 10GB FAT recovery partition created by the manufacturer. The recovery partition was at the beginning of the drive and the Vista after it. I needed to gain some extra space so using Easeus partition manager I deleted the recovery partition - as I could never see myself needing it since the laptop is approx. 6 years old - and attempted to resize the Vista partition to use up all of the available HDD space including that gained by deleting the recovery partition. Easeus said I needed to reboot, which I did, but for some reason didn't run itself after the reboot. I'm assuming I deleted the MBR as it will no longer boot.

I inserted a Vista recovery disc and first tried to use Startup Repair, which didn't work and then used a command prompt to fixmbr but it still does not boot. I now receive an error message at boot saying 'autochk program not found - skipping AUTOCHECK' and after 10 seconds or so it blue screens.

I'd greatly appreciate any help in getting this running.
Many thanks in advance.

Acer Aspire 9300
Win Vista Home Premium SP2

Advertisements

cyberdyne

cyberdyne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Can be closed.
Al sorted.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :D for a successful resolution for your issue.

Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :D :D

Can you tell what the resolution was as it may help someone else later with the same problem.

cyberdyne

cyberdyne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Sure, I removed the hard drive from the laptop and connected it to another laptop using a SATA to USB cable. I then use Easeus Partition Master (again) to resize the Vista OS partition to include the space at the front of the drive which was now showing as unallocated. I then used the Vista recovery disc to once again fix the MBR with "Bootrec /fixmbr". Once this was done, the MBR found the OS and booted first time.