Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sony viao pcg fx220

• Please log in to reply

bubbasparks

bubbasparks

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
laptop sony vaio pcg fx220 (15 gig hdd)
software installed millennium edition (trying to switch to windows xp)

This laptop works and before I repartitioned and formatted the hdd it had no issues and
worked flawlessly

Used partition magic pro 8.05 to format entire drive as 1 partition. After doing that
this was the result:

partition C:NEW_OS type: fat 32 Size: 14,307.9 Used MB 14.0 Unused Mb: 14,293.9 status: active Pri/log: primary

I then put in my windows xp disk and it says:

Press any key to boot from CD....
Invalid system disk replace the disk, and then press any key

the boot order is 1) cd rom drive 2) removable devices 3) hdd

I know I messed something up reformatting the hdd (should have let the windows xp do that) so I need help, thank you :D

Edited by bubbasparks, 11 April 2011 - 07:10 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Firstly I cannot enter into any discussion, advice or comment regarding Hirens.
It contains unlicensed software and its use is not supported on this site, or indeed any other site of reputation.

Secondly is the XP CD a Microsoft XP installation CD which product key can be legally used on this computer. In otherwords is the installation, in use, on another computer.

Or is an OEM XP CD such as supplied with a Dell etc,

Please do not be offended but if the XP available on this CD cannot be legally used according to the licence condition on this Sony then I am sorry but this site cannot assist.

Please reply to these questions first and depending on the information you provide we can then make a decision whether or not it is possible within the Terms of Use of GeekstoGo to assist you.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 11 April 2011 - 05:57 PM.

bubbasparks

bubbasparks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Secondly is the XP CD a Microsoft XP installation CD which product key can be legally used on this computer. In otherwords is the installation, in use, on another computer.

Or is an OEM XP CD such as supplied with a Dell etc,

Please do not be offended but if the XP available on this CD cannot be legally used according to the licence condition on this Sony then I am sorry but this site cannot assist.

Please reply to these questions first and depending on the information you provide we can then make a decision whether or not it is possible within the Terms of Use of GeekstoGo to assist you.

I have an oem xp disk that came installed on a ibm thinkpad r51. (it has the oem xp sticker on the back of the laptop and would be happy to post a picture of the sticker from the thinkpad r51) I wanted to take the xp disk and install it on the sony laptop until the above problem happened. Please advise me if you can help or if you need to see pictures of the sticker on my other (ibm think pad) laptop.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
It is quite likely that this will not work.
If it is the system presently installed on the OTHER computer it cannot be used, as any OEM disc is a ONE installation licence so it will, even if it installs, NOT validate.
Additionally, whilst I am not familiar with that IBM thinkpad IF THE CD is NOT an XP reinstallation CD, but simply a IBM recovery disc it will not work anyway.

PUT the CD in another computer. Do not of course allow, whatever is on it to autorun, explore the CD and tell me what files are on it.

bubbasparks

bubbasparks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
This is starting to get complicated so here it is.... I have 2 laptops. 1 is a ibm think pad I purchased used which came with xp installed AND the seller gave me the install disk. Obviously windows xp was not originally installed on the think pad but he placed the oem sticker that came with his disk on the bottom side of the laptop. (ibm thinkpad)

Now the sony came installed with Millennium Edition and I want to install windows xp. (the xp from the other laptop)

Now i know it may or may not install because it is already on my other laptap, and that's fine I'll cross that bridge when I get there, the more immediate problem is the system disk error which happened (of course) after I reformatted and made 1 partition of the hard drive belonging to the sony viao. Once I have that fixed and I install windows xp, if I get an error msg saying this copy of xp is being used on another computer, (which would be true, it's my computer) fine, I can search ebay and buy a copy of xp, but if I don't fix the current problem 1st, I will not get any software to install, regardless if it's xp that I currently have or if I have to buy a different copy.

**edit**

I changed the original post

Edited by bubbasparks, 11 April 2011 - 07:10 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

PUT the CD in another computer. Do not of course allow, whatever is on it to autorun, explore the CD and tell me what files are on it.

and additionally you will then be certain that the CD can run.
It maybe that it will not boot from the CD, as it is scratched, dirty etc. and that is the message Non- system disc. because the Hard drive is NOW a non system disc and the computer has not seen the CD>

In the meantime, whilst I wish you the best of luck, a decision will be made as whether or not we can continue to assist.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 11 April 2011 - 07:27 PM.

bubbasparks

bubbasparks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
well the disk is not scratched. I put the disk on my desktop (without obviously doing an install) and there doesn't seem to be a problem. Keep me posted if you can be of help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

partition C:NEW_OS type: fat 32 Size: 14,307.9 Used MB 14.0 Unused Mb: 14,293.9 status: active Pri/log: primary

Reformat using NTFS

I have an oem xp disk that came installed on a ibm thinkpad r51. (it has the oem xp sticker on the back of the laptop and would be happy to post a picture of the sticker from the thinkpad r51) I wanted to take the xp disk and install it on the sony laptop until the above problem happened. Please advise me if you can help or if you need to see pictures of the sticker on my other (ibm think pad) laptop.

Is this labeled as a IBM XP Installation or Recovery disk?

Obviously windows xp was not originally installed on the think pad but he placed the oem sticker that came with his disk on the bottom side of the laptop. (ibm thinkpad)

So it is presently installed and cannot be used on another system with no individual registration just for that system.

Once I have that fixed and I install windows xp, if I get an error msg saying this copy of xp is being used on another computer, (which would be true, it's my computer) fine, I can search ebay and buy a copy of xp, but if I don't fix the current problem 1st, I will not get any software to install, regardless if it's xp that I currently have or if I have to buy a different copy.

This is very relevant at this point. The other issue is did you blow away ALL PARTITIONS and then repartitioned the whole drive?

Used partition magic pro 8.05 to format entire drive as 1 partition. After doing that
this was the result:

Did you do this from within windows since obviously it won't boot to a cd right?

bubbasparks

bubbasparks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
reformat using nfts, ok will do
it's an install cd NOT a recovery cd
The hard drive has been completely repartitioned and reformatted
I used a bootleg cd to partition and reformat. I didn't know how to do that through ME so that's why
I went that route.

I will post after I reformat, thank you

bubbasparks

bubbasparks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
ok reformatted using nfts instead of fat 32. I'm now getting a black screen with a blinking underscore...

More suggestions?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I used a bootleg cd to partition and reformat. I didn't know how to do that through ME so that's why

ok now the issue is you can't load XP because you don't have a valid reg key and the system won't boot to the XP cdrom correct?
Is the XP cd Genuine or a burned copy?

bubbasparks

bubbasparks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

ok now the issue is you can't load XP because you don't have a valid reg key and the system won't boot to the XP cdrom correct?
Is the XP cd Genuine or a burned copy?

It is genuine, it is installed on my other laptop. (thinkpad r51) I know it may not work seeing that it is activated on the other laptop already, but I am sure it will at least start the install and once it installs it will ask for the product code. I personally believe it will work as the laptop I'm trying to install the xp on will never be used for online. (it's a laptop my little girls will play around with, listen to music and watch movies/videos)

I have several computers, 2 desktops and 2 laptops, and when my girls see me on my working laptop well of course they want to copy dad lol. So I spent 50 bucks and bought them the sony vaio. (craiglist special) it worked fine until dear ol dad got his mitts on it lol :D

bubbasparks

bubbasparks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

ok reformatted using nfts instead of fat 32. I'm now getting a black screen with a blinking underscore...

More suggestions?

What about this?^^^^^^^^^

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Is this according to the bios or to some boot screen?

bubbasparks

bubbasparks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Is this according to the bios or to some boot screen?

bios,

I start laptop hit escape key and select setup the order reads: 1) cd rom drive 2) removable devices 3) hdd