Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to setup old HD for extra storage.

• Please log in to reply

rc775

rc775

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I recently bought a new HD, cloned it sucessfully and all is well. It is a WD Cavalier, old one is Seagate Baracuda. I pulled the jumper off the seagate to make slave, but comp still boots from Seagate instead off W.Digital, and cannot erase the Seagate and re-format. Can someone tell me how to stop the boot from the Seagate HD?

Advertisements

rc775

rc775

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Also the new WD is a sata hook up, the old Seagate is ata.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You need to change the boot sequence in the bios to boot to the new sata drive first.
Then after booting to it correctly then you can format the old drive and it will be ready for use.

rc775

rc775

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Thanks for reply, I had already done that, but when went to bios under bood, the seagat is still showing 1st, so I outlined the WD drive and tried to change, hit y again and then save and exit but still won't let me change! Never had this problem before. Also won't let me change from booting from floppy to hard drive either!

rc775

rc775

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Thanks, I forget to hit + to change, alls well now, thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Thanks, I forget to hit + to change, alls well now, thanks.

Glad to hear it was the boot sequence after all. Hopefully now everything boots to the new drive and you now have the old drive for storage like you wanted. :D