Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XPS710

• Please log in to reply

brettt777

brettt777

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
I have an XPS-710 that's several years old and I am starting to plane a major upgrade. Basically all the major components will be replaced. I am wondering what type of motherboard the 710 has, i.e. the new motherboard I am looking at is an ATX form factor. Will it fit in the XPS710 case? I know that as large as the 710 is it should fit but I want to make sure.
Also, the video card I am looking at is a PCI express 2.1 x 16 interface but the motherboard is PCI express 2.0 x 16. Will that be a problem?

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I am wondering what type of motherboard the 710 has, i.e. the new motherboard I am looking at is an ATX form factor. Will it fit in the XPS710 case?

The 710 is BTX form factor with outlets on the back of the Case in a different place to ATX.

ATX mobo is not compatible with the case.

You will need to look at a complete new build. You may be able to use some parts from the old system.

Should you need some help we will be happy to oblige.

brettt777

brettt777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

I am wondering what type of motherboard the 710 has, i.e. the new motherboard I am looking at is an ATX form factor. Will it fit in the XPS710 case?

The 710 is BTX form factor with outlets on the back of the Case in a different place to ATX.

ATX mobo is not compatible with the case.

You will need to look at a complete new build. You may be able to use some parts from the old system.

Should you need some help we will be happy to oblige.

So with the XPS710 there really isn't a mobo that I can put in there to upgrade, is that what you mean? I know the existing mobo is all proprietary and doesn't really leave any room for upgrading. The case is the same way then?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

So with the XPS710 there really isn't a mobo that I can put in there to upgrade, is that what you mean

NO. My answer was to your question about installing an ATX board in your existing case.

If the Mobo failed you can replace with the 710 Mobo, even put in a 720 board but the cheapest I could find was $259, > http://stores.nextag...S-<br />710-720

You could look for other BTX Mobos but the selection would not be good and you would be stuck with the older type RAM.

I do not think it is a viable option to try and use a BTX form factor case.

brettt777

brettt777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
Okay thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know. I can upgrade but I probably wouldn't be able to find any newer high end mobo that would fit. Got it, thanks again.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Been having a closer look at your system. It does have quite good specs, must have cost you a Fair bit at the time.

you might be able to get a little more performance.

You could max out the RAM.
Install this video card. >
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814121390

When you decide to build a new rig. Remove the GTX460, buy a second one and put them in the new PC.

I think you would get a decent price for the XPS-710.