Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Issues with System Performance

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Legacy is and has been part of a system for years.
Wikipedia has a good explanation HERE
and explains why it keeps coming back after you delete it.
It's still integrated in todays systems even though the newer technology is faster.

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Best Regards

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I noticed you only have SP2...you need to get SP3 or you will be unable to get any updates for windows...
speedfan also show 0 V on the +5V line and everest showed only .74 V for the processor...it may be the PSU is getting flaky ...if this is a really old computer I would consider getting a new PSU of = to or higher wattage

but try this
go to START..RUN...type in MSCONFIG...then click on OK or press ENTER..
click on START UP TAB...uncheck everything EXCEPT your AV and firewall...if its a laptop you have to be careful about what you uncheck or your touch pad and wireless and things like that will not function for you..
google each start up item to decide if you need it to load with windows...unchecking them does not remove them ..they just don't launch at startup...

the next thing we are going to do is turn off indexing ....its a resource hog and if you aren't searching for things on your computer 10 times a day it will only slow down your system....

click on start...my computer...right click on C: drive....properties...on the general tab..uncheck...allow indexing on this drive..and compress files...if you do not have the box on your system...

then START...RUN...type in SERVICES.MSC...then OK...scroll down until you find INDEXING SERVICE...click on it and in the general tab set it to DISABLED...then exit...
back up your registry first before doing these tweaks using erunt

Whenever XP reads a file, it stamps the file with the date and time of the access. This feature has its place but is not required for normal use unless you rely on the date of last access for backup purposes, which is a rare requirement for most backups. Putting a timestamp a file that has just been read means that a write access has to be made to disk, so every time a read is executed, a corresponding write is also executed.
click START...RUN...type in ...cmd ...then enter or OK
At the command prompt, enter the following then reboot;

FSUTIL behavior set disablelastaccess 1

To turn timestamps back on, repeat the command but replace the 1 with 0

To clean your temp folder, run TFC again
then go here to see how to clean out the index.dat files

next get diskeeper lite here...

after installing it...click on the icon...close the "nag" screen...click on your c drive to select it ...then down towards the bottom ...click on defragment now...first time you use it it may take 15 to 30 minutes to complete...do it about every two weeks and it will complete in about 7 minutes...
reboot and tell us hows its running...

you do not have to defrag in safe mode with diskeeper lite and its 10 times as fast than the defragger that comes with windows

rkinsey1313

rkinsey1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
It wasn't giving me a URL to copy so I took a s/s so I could post it here. If Legacy is something my computer uses then why was it never on here until about 2-3 months ago? Its just weird because thats around the time my computer actually started actin up. This is the first time I havent been able to just run MBAM or Combofix and be good to go. Whatever I got is incredibly stubborn and hard to remove. Here is the s/s.

Posted Image

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The url is the web address in the top box of the window. The one where you type in web addresses.
The picture does me no good as it only shows the fixes and I need to see the whole report.
Also please do as Happyrock suggested as he sees things I have missed.

rkinsey1313

rkinsey1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Hey rshaffer. I ended up trying out an anti-malware program my roomates friend suggested that works at a computer company. It was called Emsisoft. It found quite a bit of Win32 Related viruses and I got the report for it. It seemed to speed my computer up alot for a day or 2 and now its right back to running rediculously slow. I have to say that I'm about 99% sure I still have some sort of stubborn virus or malware on my computer that it slowing it down.

The only option was to Quarantine them. Then I went ahead and deleted them. Let me know what you think.

Edited by rshaffer61, 22 April 2011 - 07:18 AM.
Removed malware info

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found HERE. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here