Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Troubles

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK since you have copied the data to a external drive I would advise to go ahead and wipe the drive since it appears the boot partition is doinked.
Besides a fresh install will bring everything back faster and then no problems.
Purchase of a new system is no problem if that is what you want but not worth it if you are only doing it to keep from formatting and reinstalling everything.

Advertisements

Night_Zero

Night_Zero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
The reason for the new system is that the dead PC is roughly 4 years old and getting to the point where gaming on it isn't as good as I'd like. My other option I was contemplating is purchasing Win 7 and keeping the PC just with a new OS. Either way, I thank you RShaffer61 for all the help in troubleshooting.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

My other option I was contemplating is purchasing Win 7 and keeping the PC just with a new OS

Before going this route I would suggest making sure there will be no compatibility issues with your system and Win 7. A good way to find out is Win 7 Update Advisor.
This will Tell you of any potential issues with either your hardware or software. It will also tell you about drivers available for your system for Win 7

Night_Zero

Night_Zero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

My other option I was contemplating is purchasing Win 7 and keeping the PC just with a new OS

Before going this route I would suggest making sure there will be no compatibility issues with your system and Win 7. A good way to find out is Win 7 Update Advisor.
This will Tell you of any potential issues with either your hardware or software. It will also tell you about drivers available for your system for Win 7

I currently do not have a working OS so I can't test this. :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you can purechase a XP Pro cd or one that has never been registered\installed using the key that comes with it then you can use it to format the system and install with.
Note: If you try to use a key that is already been used and\or registered you will not be able to activate your windows.