Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

undelete

• Please log in to reply

bigdan

bigdan

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Hi,

I erased a few xml files a week ago that I really need now. How would I recover them? I managed to get a few through a trial download, but they're not getting recovered properly. Perhaps they're dependent on some other file?

Thanks
Dan

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
I've had a good experience with this free utility:

http://www.officerec...m/freeundelete/

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
If that doesn't work try this: tune Up utilities

bigdan

bigdan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I've downloaded a number of programs, recommended here and by other people. So far none of them have worked. They've all located the missing xml file (my msn chat log), but when I undelete them I get this strange message:

The XML page cannot be displayed
Cannot view XML input using style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An invalid character was found in text content. Error processing resource 'file:///A:/surj_roops3877769168.xml'.

Is there anything I should do about this message? Or if I see this message after using a couple of the programs, would that mean none of them programs out there can recover it properly, or are some more effective than others?

Thanks
Dan

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Sometimes you just cannot recover some stuff. Also sometimes what you do recover is corrupted after being deleted. You may want to keep trying other programs. I used free undelete to recover 89 gigs worth of stuff that just disappeared off of someone's hard drive one day. We don't know why. Most of the stuff was sound files and different types of audio, since this guy is a dj and has alot of radio commercials and stuff on his pc. I would say that about 10% of what we recovered was not working correctly. It would play, but there would be static, random breaks, and glitches in the files.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

bigdan

bigdan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
OK cool. Since it's msn chat logs Im trying to recover would it have something to do with opening it in a certain directory or what not? I know somestimes xml files are dependent on each other.

Guest_yezpahr_*

Guest_yezpahr_*
Possible. Place ALL of those XML chatlogs you find in 1 directory. (I think it only uses /<path>/<path>/<name> Not the actual disk name.