Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Transferring Files off OS-less Previously XP PC?

• Please log in to reply

Kulock

Kulock

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Back, back... in the past... whooo...

http://www.geekstogo...showtopic=20813

So, yeah. Dealt with Sony's support, and their answer (even though I wonder if that comment about physical HD problems is right, it IS a Maxtor HD I found out, and I've had problems with them twice, previously) was for me to order (not send me, me to ORDER at $17.95) their Restore Disc, which is the kind that wipes everything before putting on factory-setting software, so I get the fun and joy of updating everything again. (And potentially wait for the next HD failure, when I can _then_ wrassle a new HD out of them, most likely. Assuming the Restore even works correctly.)

Right now, when I boot it up without any assistance, it complains, "NTLDR is missing, Press any key to Reboot," so I know now that picking "Fixboot" was a bad idea. I can still use boot discs on my PC, and I think I spotted that my file partition is still there, I think, but I wasn't clear on how to reach them (most of the boot disks seem to be DOS-based, and XP stores files in a different format, right? NTFS, was it?), unless I was just missing something obvious.

So, I guess the question is, is there a boot disk available somewhere that'll let me network the PC to another I have up and running (another XP Media Center one), to see if I can copy my files off? Or is there some other way I could go about this? I'd rather not get into physically taking out the harddrive or anything if possible, since they might point to that and invalidate my warranty. I'd just like to try to save my 4-5 months of files, if possible.

Advertisements

Kulock

Kulock

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Just bumping one last time... can anyone think of anything? Is there something I need to clarify or answer further?

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hi Kulock

(And potentially wait for the next HD failure, when I can _then_ wrassle a new HD out of them, most likely. Assuming the Restore even works correctly.)

Does this mean that the original drive, which is still in your cp toast. If it is, you will still have to open the case and replace the harddrive, unless you are getting the company or store to do it. I would pop open the case and transfer the harddrive into the second cp as a slave and copy my files over.

If you check out www.bootdisk.com, you can pick up a boot disk for XP (not the 6 install disks), there is a great program call Ntfsdos, but it is a few bucks to purchase but it does a great job. Nomally you will have to remember some of the good ol Dos commands to move the files.

It might be faster and easier to move the harddrive to the second cp instead of trying to network the 2 media center pcs together, if they are not the same member of a workgroup, how can you change pc #1 if it won't boot.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

If you have a windows disk, or a i386 directory on your drive, you may be able to built a bart's pe. This has limited networking built in, and you may be able to use a plug in for other network cards, too.

This will allow you to boot from into windows like interface from a cd, copy stuff, and then wipe out the drive

Kulock

Kulock

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hi Kulock
Does this mean that the original drive, which is still in your cp toast. If it is, you will still have to open the case and replace the harddrive, unless you are getting the company or store to do it. I would pop open the case and transfer the harddrive into the second cp as a slave and copy my files over.

Well, I'm not sure yet. Someone here said that my initial problem suggested that, and I've been inherently distrustful of Maxtor Harddrives (over the years, twice before I've had major problems involving them).

If you check out www.bootdisk.com, you can pick up a boot disk for XP (not the 6 install disks),

Are you sure? The thing I saw there was for setting up an installation. Did I overlook it?

there is a great program call Ntfsdos, but it is a few bucks to purchase but it does a great job. Nomally you will have to remember some of the good ol Dos commands to move the files.

I can do DOS, but I didn't think the files would show up correctly in DOS since they're NTFS. That's what I thought, anyway. But I saw that program, wasn't sure if it'd be worth the cash or not.

And thank you too, Gerry, I'll see if I can do something with that. I don't think I have either (the i386 directory or a disc), but I might be able to get an XP disc off my sis if she has one. (I wish manufacturers hadn't stopped giving proper Windows discs out, instead of their crappy nuke-all "Recovery" Discs.)