Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trying to connect with Wifi at apartment

• Please log in to reply

TMayfi

TMayfi

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hello and thanks for help in advance!

I am trying (in vain) to connect to the WiFi that my apartment complex now has. The current computer I'm using is a Dell Latitude running Windows 7 Professional. I am able to connect to several other WiFi networks, but not the one here at the apartment. I talked to the landlord (an old lady...) and she had Comcast out here to check on their end of it and they told her it was fine. She and her daughter can both connect to the network, and told me it must be that I'm typing in the password incorrectly or too fast.

Here's what happens:
I connect to the network after entering the password.
Say's I'm connected but there is no internet activity.
I run the troubleshooter, and it tells me that Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (primary DNS server) and that the device is not responding to requests.

Any thoughts? Is it on my end or on their end. It's a small apartment complex filled with mainly seniors, and I was the only one who's given them feedback. Any help would be appreciated!!!

Advertisements

Rediah

Rediah

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Hello TMayfi:

Please verify with Comcast:

• The Wireless Encryption Key
  • Please check whether they (Comcast) are using VLAN in which case:
  • How they are authenticating
  • DHCP is used or is it Static IP and ensure that your TCP/IP settings are according to it

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Have you checked to see if you are getting an IP address from the router? You can do that by going to Start, Run and typing command in the box and pressing Enter.

This will bring up a command prompt. Please type the following at the prompt

ipconfig /all

Notice the space after the 'g' in ipconfig. You can right click in the command prompt window and choose Select All then press the Ctrl + C keys on your keyboard. You can then paste the contents into a reply using the Ctrl + V command.