Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Four screen eyefinity

• Please log in to reply

sokka

sokka

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hi,
Will this work for four eyefinity screens in 2x2 configuration, giving a resolution of 3840x2160?

Using Sapphire 5770 FleX:
DVI out --> DVI screen
DVI out --> DVI to VGA adapter --> VGA screen
HDMI out --> HDMI screen
DP out --> DP to VGA active adapter --> VGA screen

I've done research and think it will work but I havent found any reference to someone doing it on the internet (no YouTube demos or anything) so I just wanted a second opinion.
Thanks.

Advertisements

sokka

sokka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Has anyone here got a four screen Eyefinity setup working?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I have never done this, but I would think you need a CPU with lots of horsepower too. But note this Newegg page for that card where it says,

The board can also support up to four simultaneous, independent monitors if you choose to include the use of a DisplayPort monitor or active adapter.

sokka

sokka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Yes, I suppose running games and such at 3840x2160 will require quite a bit of horsepower! I'm fairly sure my computer is up to it though because I spent quite a bit making it.

I've already ordered these off Amazon, so I'll have it set up in a few days and will let you guys know how it goes incase someone else wants a cheap (the HD5770 FleX is the cheapest right now, I think) quad eyefinity. (Frankly I'm surprised that no one has it already, considering you lot are supposed to be geeks :D)

Thanks for the supporting quote from Newegg. :D

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Not everyone has the budget, or desktop space for 4 monitors.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I've got two monitors and thats me out of space. Big problem with Eyefinity is you need several identical monitors to do it well and the rig to mount the monitors properly. It looks awful with different size monitors and some things just won't work without identical resolutions on each. You can have four monitors just as individual screens like a normal multimonitor setup. The advantage of eyefinity is a single virtual screen space for tricking applications that dont support multiple monitors namely games to run.

But that doesn't work as well on even number of monitors as you need one to act as a center for most things like game and two for peripheral left and right with the fourth being the up direction peripheral. To get four to work 2x2 and use it for game you would probably have to strip the monitors down to just the panels and connections and mount them in a custom housing with a minimal gap between panels.
[]                                   [][]
[][][]  - Good Eyefinity game config   [][] - Not ideal just use normal multi monitors

Also you do need a huge amount of juice in the graphics cards to run at that resolution unless you drop some graphical options.

In terms of what you need the cards themselves will determine how its done different brands of cards will have different ports. The number of ports on the cards vary by manufacturer. You need to read the manufacturer manual and the ATI support stuff for exact details. ATI will have most of the documentation on Eyefinity so that should be the first port of call and worth giving the site and forums a good rake because useful info isn't always presented obviously for some of the less used features.

Best Eyefinity combo is three monitors one center and one left and one right. As a configuration it is also better as the peripherals don't have to match the center other than in resolution for it to look good.

Big eyefinity set ups are still pretty rare. Not every game supports such large horizontal resolutions without a lot of modding. Cost wise its prohibitive as for most people one good monitor is a better investment and laying out the £1000s for multiple screens just for playing games isn't practical. Not to mention you need a massive desk or custom mount to do it or a big living room as eyefinity actually works best with TVs believe it or not its cheaper to get three LCD TV.

Edited by warriorscot, 21 April 2011 - 11:10 AM.

sokka

sokka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Just in case anyone was wondering how this went or wants to do their own: I've literally just got this set up finished, and its great!!! I decided to go with 2x2 configuration, but I can rearrange if I feel like it in future. It's worked perfectly using the adaptors described above, and it only took two minutes to create an eyefinity group which immediately set itself at 3840x2160. I can see how this set up wouldn't be great for first person shooters (because the center of the display is split on the bezels) but I'm not too keen on those (I'm obviously not much of a gamer). So far I've tested it in the Sims 3 (quite a graphics intensive game) on a huge house with every graphical setting to full (except high detail lots, as I live between the Landgraab's and the Alto's lol) and with the resolution at 3840x2160 and I'm getting 30 FPS. (I'm very pleased with this). As for when I'm working, I use the free software HydraVision from ATi which allows me to easily position windows on their own screens, like Windows 7 Aero Snap but four way. On the very slim chance that someone cares, the 5770 FleX got a WEI score of 7.4 (on my system).

~Sokka
PS At this amazing resolution, this post is only one and a half lines long. :D

Edited by sokka, 24 April 2011 - 03:54 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Glad you are happy and thanks for the followup.