Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System32/Config/System.dll missing or corrupt

• Please log in to reply

tillville

tillville

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I had a bad storm come in last night. When I turned on the computer this morning, I had an error msg saying "System32/config/system.dll corrupt or missing". I have been trying to fix this with the CD, but am not getting anywhere. I have a Dell desktop computer and use Windows XP. Can you please walk me through the steps to get this fixed? I have already tried it 3 times and now have 4 options to boot up with. The original and 3 new ones that won't work. I would also like to delete the 3 new ones.

I appreciate any assistance you can give me.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Which CD have you been using please
The only one that MAY work is the recovery console on the XP installation CD.
The Dell CD not usually including the reocvery console will not work

If you have the recovery console, enter the recovery by pressing R when indicated and slect the Windows installation to repair.
Here are the instructions.
http://pcsupport.abo...ss/rconsole.htm

When in the Recovery console and having selected the Windows - I am not sure what you now have, as you say you have created three-
you type
"chkdsk C: /p"
without quotes.

After that has run you type exit and see if Windows will now load.

If that does not work you go back to Recovery Console and try this
When you get to the recovery console prompt:
  • Type cd \ and press "Enter".
  • Type cd system~1\_resto~1 and press "Enter".
  • Type dir and press "Enter".
After you press enter you will see a list of folders (like rp1, rp2) If the list of restore points has more than one page then press the "Enter" key until you reach the end of the list
  • Type cd rp {number of the third to last folder in the list} and press "Enter". (Example: Type cd rp8 if rp10 is the last restore point.)
  • Type cd snapshot and press "Enter".
  • Type copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system and press "Enter".
  • Type copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software and press "Enter".
  • Type exit and press "Enter".
Your PC will reboot.

If you get an access denied error when doing the above, then do the following at the recovery console:
  • Type cd \ and press "Enter".
  • Type cd windows\system32\config and press "Enter".
  • Type ren system system.bak and press "Enter".
  • Type exit and press "Enter".
Your PC will reboot, go back into the Recovery Console and start from the beginning.

With acknowledgement to Wannabe1 and others

tillville

tillville

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you for responding.

I cannot believe it....it worked! The first time I did it, I didn't do something right, but I did it again and my computer is working again.

Can you tell me what would've caused this problem? I am currently using ESET Suite for virus and firewall protection. Do you have any suggestions that might be better? I don't like it when my computer gets this problem when turned OFF. In fact, when the electricity went off and then on again, my computer turned itself on again to the same page (missing or correct...). I have never seen this happen before.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Is there anything else I need to do?

bon

Edited by tillville, 17 April 2011 - 12:29 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thank you for being so appreciative, but WHAT worked please.

tillville

tillville

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I did everything you mentioned except last paragraph as I didn't have an access code.

Can you tell me if a virus caused this? I can't believe a storm could cause this when the computer was off, but was still plugged in.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
If the computer was turned off, although still connected to the power it is very unlikely that any storm, including electrical surges would cause this.
What they can cause is damage to the power supply.
That is one of the reasons for a surge protector connected to the mains supply - the plug in sort or surge bar, if you require more than one outlet.

I cannot advise you on virus issues as only certified malware advisors are allowed to do so.

May I suggest you go to this link.
http://www.geekstogo...uide-t2852.html

Read carefully the instructions and if you do post in the malware forum, include a link to this thread. When you have been given a clean bill of health, please come back here if you have any remaining problems.