Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor gone wierd

• Please log in to reply

iron mum

iron mum

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
I have a Hyundai N91W monitor which is about five years old and until recently was working fine.
I have both my monitor and pc connected to a APC 800 ups which all worked well then I noticed my monitor wouldn't switch on (No power light) after spending quite a while jiggling cables I got it going but the problem got worse.
Finally I connected the monitor straight back into the power socket bypassing the ups but this didn't help.
Today it took me nearly an hour to get the monitor to switch on and the resolution was all wrong.
Here's what I've found out so far....

It makes no difference if the monitor is running through the ups, mains or just plugged in and not connected to computer.
Sometimes it will switch on then shut down.
Updated graphics driver but made no difference.
Changed resolution from 1024x768 to 1440x900 which maybe wrong but at least its not huge and blurry.

Before I start looking at a new monitor I was wondering if there was anything I'd missed or is it simply on the way out.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Best test you can do is try it on another known working system. If it still will not power on then the problem is the monitor itself.
You could actually just disconnect it from the computer itself. Then take it to a different outlet and plug it in. If it does not power on the monitor is gone. I just replaced a Acer lcd monitor that had the same issue. :D

iron mum

iron mum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Hi rshaffer61, that's what I did, I plugged it into the kitchen no computer just mains and it switched on then switched off. I did mention it in my post post but probably worded it wrong. Its working at the moment but when I switch off at the mains power I dread switching it on the next time.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep since it does this even when not connected to anything but power it would seem the monitor is failing. It may be as simple a s a switch being faulty but the price to have even that replaced usually is not worth it.
I would suggest simply replacing the monitor with a newer model.

iron mum

iron mum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Hi rshaffer61, I couldn't get it to run at all this morning so pulled out an old lcd which once hooked up worked perfectly. Even trying to just plug it in direct to the wall with no pc connections lead to nothing, the power switch would flash on the off and nothing else.

Having now gone from 19" to 14" and with me comendering the kitchen TV I'll have to find a new one fast before the arguments start over who will watch what footie match :D

Thanks for your help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The price of monitors has dropped drastically over the last year.
NewEgg starting at 79.99 for a 17 inch

TigerDirect starting at 79.99 for a 17 inch monitor.

Not sure what retail places you would have there but this is just a example of what we have here. :D :D :D :D