Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Vostro 400 - slow death

• Please log in to reply

Big_Ed_OH

Big_Ed_OH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
here is the Everest Home Edition quick summary.

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition © 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v2.20.405
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Quick Report
Computer VOSTRO_400 (Vostro 400 )
Generator Ed Clark
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2011-04-21
Time 14:10

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 3
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name VOSTRO_400 (Vostro 400 )
User Name Ed Clark

Motherboard:
CPU Type 2x , 2400 MHz (7 x 343)
Motherboard Name Unknown
Motherboard Chipset Unknown
System Memory 3328 MB
BIOS Type Award (06/23/08)

Display:
Video Adapter GeForce 8800 GT (512 MB)
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (512 MB)
Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB] (CC30271H28JU)
Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB] (KU3117BK0NKM)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Realtek HD Audio output

Storage:
IDE Controller Intel® ICH9 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 2 - 2926
IDE Controller Intel® ICH9 4 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 1 - 2920
Disk Drive SAMSUNG HD501LJ (465 GB, IDE)
Disk Drive ST31000528AS (931 GB, IDE)
Optical Drive HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H73N
Optical Drive PBDS CDRWDVD DH-48C2S
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 476874 MB (192636 MB free)
F: (NTFS) 953867 MB (953663 MB free)
Total Size 1397.2 GB (1119.4 GB free)

Input:
Keyboard HID Keyboard Device
Mouse Microsoft USB Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 (IntelliPoint)

Network:
Network Adapter Intel® 82562V-2 10/100 Network Connection (192.168.10.198)

Peripherals:
Printer A - PDF-XChange 4.0
Printer ACI PDF Printer
Printer Fax
Printer hp LaserJet 2420
Printer HP Officejet 5600 series fax
Printer HP Officejet 5600 series
Printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer
Printer PDF-XChange 3.0
Printer Quicken PDF Printer
Printer Rapattoni MLS PDF Creator
Printer ZooPrintProcess
USB1 Controller Intel® ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2934 [NoDB]
USB1 Controller Intel® ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2935 [NoDB]
USB1 Controller Intel® ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2936 [NoDB]
USB1 Controller Intel® ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2937 [NoDB]
USB1 Controller Intel® ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2938 [NoDB]
USB1 Controller Intel® ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2939 [NoDB]
USB2 Controller Intel® ICH9 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 293A [NoDB]
USB2 Controller Intel® ICH9 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 293C [NoDB]
USB Device HP Officejet 5600 series
USB Device Officejet 5600 series (DOT4USB)
USB Device USB Composite Device
USB Device USB Human Interface Device
USB Device USB Human Interface Device
USB Device USB Printing Support

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

On Everest please as per my previous post

Big_Ed_OH

Big_Ed_OH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Here you go. I missed the part about Sensor in your last post. Thanks again.

-------
--------[ EVEREST Home Edition © 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Report Type Quick Report
Generator Ed Clark
Date 2011-04-21
Time 15:57

--------[ Sensor ]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sensor Properties:
Sensor Type ITE IT8712F (ISA 290h)
GPU Sensor Type Driver (NV-DRV)

Temperatures:
Motherboard 41 °C (106 °F)
Aux 82 °C (180 °F)
GPU 60 °C (140 °F)
GPU Ambient 49 °C (120 °F)
SAMSUNG HD501LJ 37 °C (99 °F)
Seagate ST31000528AS 34 °C (93 °F)

Cooling Fans:
CPU 6683 RPM
Power Supply 664 RPM

Voltage Values:
CPU Core 1.15 V
+2.5 V 3.07 V
+3.3 V 3.36 V
+5 V 5.13 V
+12 V 12.10 V
+5 V Standby 5.05 V
VBAT Battery 3.22 V
Debug Info F 65 FF FE
Debug Info T 82 41 219
Debug Info V 48 C0 D2 BF BD 05 07 (77)

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
After you have posted the temps on evertest and completed memtest
Please would you run this and see what the Overdrive test tells us - regarding your drivers, partcularly for the graphics.
Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others).

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!" OR YOU CAN RUN THE TEST ANON. without signing up. - you will see that at the end of that screen. The results will still be saved long enough for me to look at them.
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am NOT suggesting this is the problem, but I think it is a matter you should look to address
That Dell Vostra 400 came with a 300watt PSU
Chassis300 Watt DC Power Supply3.5" Bays: 3 bays (one external; two internal)5.25" Bays: 2 baysMemory DIMM slots: 4 available

Nvidia Geforce 8800GT
Thermal and Power Specs:Maximum GPU Temperature (in C)105 C Maximum Graphics Card Power (W)105 W Minimum Recommended System Power (W)400 W Supplementary Power Connectors6-pin & 8-pin High Dynamic-Range Lighting128bit

Post from Dell forum re running with your grpahics and twin monitors
Title: Rock solid system with one minor flaw Pros:Killer value for the money. Lots of power in a small case. Cons:Poor air flow. With my 8800GT card and running two dell 22 inch monitors the system can run a bit on the hot side.

I STRESS that
I do not think this is the present slowness, but it is certainly a matter I would think you should address. Personally I think I would look to another case fan and a larger power supply.

Please use this
http://extreme.outer...culatorlite.jsp
I have calculated it at 409 watts minimum with your two hard drives totalling 1.5Gb your graphics and the processor.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 21 April 2011 - 03:11 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Further to the above would you please go Device Manager and tell me the driver ID for the graphics is it 169.25 by any chance.
OR 181.22 - which is the preferred one.

Big_Ed_OH

Big_Ed_OH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Ok, here is the MemTest result after 6 passes and a screen shot of the SpeedFan and EVEREST. The Auslogics Defrag is next.

--------

Report Type Quick Report
Generator Ed Clark
Date 2011-04-21
Time 20:52

--------[ Sensor ]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sensor Properties:
Sensor Type ITE IT8712F (ISA 290h)
GPU Sensor Type Driver (NV-DRV)

Temperatures:
Motherboard 41 °C (106 °F)
Aux 82 °C (180 °F)
GPU 57 °C (135 °F)
GPU Ambient 46 °C (115 °F)
SAMSUNG HD501LJ 37 °C (99 °F)
Seagate ST31000528AS 33 °C (91 °F)

Cooling Fans:
CPU 6750 RPM
Power Supply 664 RPM

Voltage Values:
CPU Core 1.15 V
+2.5 V 3.07 V
+3.3 V 3.36 V
+5 V 5.13 V
+12 V 12.10 V
+5 V Standby 5.05 V
VBAT Battery 3.22 V
Debug Info F 64 FF FE
Debug Info T 82 41 219
Debug Info V 48 C0 D2 BF BD 05 07 (77)

Attached Thumbnails

• SpeedFan2.jpg
  • MemTest_result2.jpg

Big_Ed_OH

Big_Ed_OH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Under device manager, display adapters, it lists my graphics card the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT. The driver version is 6.14.11.6736 with a date of 10/19/2007. I just downloaded updated graphics drivers and will be installing those in a few minutes.

Big_Ed_OH

Big_Ed_OH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Here is the link to the PC Pit stop:

http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=24324709

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. Update Java you have version 6 update 22.
Current is update 24.
Always keep JAVA and Adobe up to date, they are both frequently updated to combat security wekanesses established.

2. If that is the free AVG - you have AVG 9 - badly out of date.
Personally I would not recommend AVG it tneds to be somewhat bloated. But of course the decsision is yours.
One of the best free anti-virus programs is Microsoft Security Essentials. Very unobtrusive,. uses fewer resources than any other free anti-virus and regularly updated of course direct from Microsoft.
See this.
HOW GeekstoGo views AVG

The once often recommended AVG is no longer recommended that often on security sites like this. It's become too big, too bloated, consumes too many system resources. It does silly things. Installs the Yahoo Toolbar unless you opt out. Definition updates appear to come from different servers for free versus paid versions, and the free updates have a history of being unavailable too often. Add some embarrassing false positive detections, and below average detection rates. There are simply better free alternatives.

Our advice re anti-virus

http://www.geekstogo...yware-software/

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I notice you have CCleaner installed do not use registry aspect of CCleaner. ALWAYS ensure that this aspect is unchecked when running it.
Because of its ability to alter the registry we no longer recommend this
To clean your browsing history and I notice that the Pitstop report commensts on the large file of Cookies and the Cache use this please.
In fact I RECOMMEND you download and run it.
http://www.atribune....id=25&Itemid=25

Please select ALL on first run, except prefetch. There is no point in selecting that as well as Windows will simply rebuild the prefetch.
BE AWARE that this will delete all saved web passwords. NOT your windows passwords, only websites. You will have to sign in again.
MAIN is IE.
Then you have other browsers on ATF ie; Firefox..
ATF takes up no resources, hardly any disk space. Just run it as you wish. I use it once a week.

You have far too much space allocated to system restore. You are not short of disk space, but there is just no point in having so much.
Go start, right click my computer, click properties and then click the System Restore tab. As you have nothing on F drive it is not worth having system restore monitoring. that drive.
Turn it off on that drive and reduce its capacity on C drive to approx 2000Mb. That is by clicking the settings button and moving the slider.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Further to the above when you have completed these tasks, please post back.

Big_Ed_OH

Big_Ed_OH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I downloaded and ran ATF. I've turned off system restore on the second hard drive but the pc indicated system restore was suspended due to a lack of disk space on C when I adjusted the slider from 12% down to 1%. I'm going to do a restart shortly and see if there is any change in the system restore status. As for the Java update, I will get to that later this evening. I recently had issues with Adobe X and had to revert to version 9 due to a conflict with my work software (alamode).

AVG is the paid version and it indicates it is up to date with the last scan ran 2 days ago. My subscription runs out next March so I may stick with AVG until then or transfer it to my back up system and try one of the free services suggested.

I updated the drivers for the display adapter last night and it changed the way SpeedFan reports info. I've attached an updated screen shot.

As for the power supply, I'm looking at replacing the power supply with a unit with a larger capacity and bigger fan. The prices seem to range from $16 to $100. Which one do I pick? There is a seperate plug that plugs into my video card, I need to open up the case again and see the model # on my power supply to determine the correct replacement. I want to say it was a 350W model.

Attached Thumbnails

• SpeedFan3.jpg

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
By default, Windows uses 12 percent of the drive for System Restore; drives today are over 100 gigabytes and thus use tens of gigabytes of storage for this feature. Since a typical restore point is usually less than 100 megabytes, the default settings often keep up to three months of restore points. We don't recommend going back more than a week or two, so the older restore points are usually wasted space.

To change System Restore settings: Click Start, Control Panel, System and click the System Restore tab. Make sure the "Turn off System Restore on all drives" box is not checked. In this dialog you will see a list of all the drive partitions on the system--the partitions may be on different drives or all on the same drive. Select the boot drive--it will be the C drive for 98 percent of all users--and click Settings.

Try it with about 3% - you certainly do not need the 12%.

RE AVG I apologise my error, in a small way - I did however say as below.

If that is the free AVG - you have AVG 9 - badly out of date.

Obviously I was wrong. I DO NOT RECOMMEND the AVG2011 Paid for version it has been receiving adverse reports.

Re comment on Power supply I sent you the calculator on post 20. I worked it out at just over 400 watts.
I Do not think this is a desperate issue unless you load the graphics, with heavy gaming, video downloads etc. I rather opine that a another case fan would be good.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 22 April 2011 - 02:33 PM.

Big_Ed_OH

Big_Ed_OH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I just ordered a new PSU and should have it in a few days. Here is a link to the unit I purchased.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817171036

I will monitor temps when the new PSU is installed and update this posting. I don't see how I could add another case fan as there is only one place in the back of the case to vent the air from the case fan. Is it possible to upgrade or oversize the case fan to increase the CFM of air moved through the case?

Thanks again for your help.