Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

0 byte files

• Please log in to reply

AngieBatgirl

AngieBatgirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Is there anything else in that Download folder at this time except the 0 byte file(s)?
If not then try deleting the whole folder

I tried that too :/ I still get the same error

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok then the issue is where you are getting the files and the extra file there. Might be a ghost file but short of deleting the original file and downloading it from a non redirected site I see no way to get rid of it.

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
It might be a botched filesystem table.

Click Start and then to Run. If the Run option is not available, hold down the Windows key (the one between Ctrl and Alt, not the Fn key) then press R.
Type in "chkdsk /f", note the space between "k" and "/".
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot. Choose Y.
If the window doesn't close on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation.

Note:
The check will take a while, depending on your system. This can take up to several hours to complete.
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a while or even back up and go over the same area, this is normal.
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
When completed it will reboot the system.

Go to Start - Run again and type: eventvwr.msc then press Enter.
When Event Viewer opens, click on Applications, then scroll down to Winlogon and double-click on it. Finally, copy and paste the log back here

We will advise after studying the log.

thank you rshaffer61

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
chkdsk /f has only 3 stages and will not take to long. :) Chkdsk /r is more thorough. :unsure:
Go to

Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Reboot after your done running chkdsk /r...
then Go to Start...Run and type: eventvwr.msc press Enter
When Event Viewer opens, click on Applications... then scroll down to [b]Winlogon]/b] and double-click on it. This is the log created after running Checkdisk...copy and paste the log back here

We will advise after studying the log.

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
I want to save time, and chkdsk /f is enough. I am only going to check the FS table, not the whole disk, since I don't think there is any physical damage to the drive.

AngieBatgirl, if you have enough time, you can use rshaffer61's recommendation.

Edited by devper94, 04 May 2011 - 01:21 AM.

bethel95

bethel95

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Before doing anything more drastic or lengthy, try deleting the file using its short name. To discover the short name, open a command line window, navigate to the target folder, and type DIR /X. This will show you two names for the zero byte file--the normal one and a "short name" that consists of the first 6 letters of the file name, a tilde (~), and a number. Now use DEL with the short name.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 31 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.