Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Where's the application I just downloaded?

• Please log in to reply

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
I need to convert some software from Windows to Mac. There are some Word files there. I downloaded some free thing called FileFormatConverters.exe. It seemed to install... but that's it! Where is it??? It's not in 'Programs!' When I click on a shortcut, it just seems to install all over again. I can't find the actual program!!! I know some stuff about computers but I obviously have some big gaps in my knowledge! I searched for the application and found various thingies... shortcuts, apps etc., but nothing will run! Everything just keeps installing. It asks if I read the terms of use and I click 'yes!" Can enyone tell me what's going on here? I got a bit suspicious and uninstalled the software... but maybe it's fine, and I'm the one that's koo-koo! :D

Thanx in advance for any help. :D

Advertisements

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Hello Googleplex-Googleplex,

You didn't say where you downloaded the program from. If it was Microsoft, I found this in the MS Office Support forum at TechArena Community.

I was having the same issue and search MS and the internet to find this
post, but no help. I just went into IE and did the following and don't know
which one helped, or maybe you need all of them:
Tools, turn off pop-up blocker
Tools, turn off Phishing filter
Internet Options, security, set "internet" setting to medium.

Went back to the download site and everything went smoothly.

Why can't MS give us better trouble-shooting messages?

Hope this helps

There were a lot of posters with the same problem till this fix was posted.The link to the post is here.