Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Loss of sound when I open/close fullscreen games.

• Please log in to reply

Sky115

Sky115

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello, I think this best fits here but feel free to move it to hardware if that's more applicable, because it very well could be a sound card issue.

I'm here because I have been having an issue (for a while now) where I sometimes lose sound when transitioning from full screen games to my desktop or vice versa. Either I start the game and my sound is gone by the time I'm at the main menu, or I've been playing the game with sound fine and when I exit back to desktop, I no longer have sound. It can also happen if I alt-tab out of a full screen game or back into one. I've experienced this with modern games like Team Fortress 2 and Civilization 5, and ancient games like Starsiege: Tribes. In any case, when this happens my sound is simply gone and the only way to get it back is to restart my PC. It's almost always back when I restart my PC, but a couple times upon restart I've been met with a very high pitched tone coming from my speakers that required another restart to fix. I've also had this tone a couple times, instead of the loss of sound, after starting/closing a game.

Does it sound like (hehe) I need a new sound card? The one in here is I think what came with the machine like 4 years ago, a Creative SB X-Fi, pretty basic I think. I've never really felt like I needed a fancy sound card, but I guess this one may be conflicting with my OS as it was kind of a pain to get working after I installed 64bit Windows 7.

Any advice is appreciated!

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hi Sky115 and welcome to G2G!

64 bit windows driver support has been hit and miss for a while now. Before looking for a new sound card I would try updating the sound card drivers from the manufacturers website. The latest driver is version 2.18.0015 and should be dated Feb 2011. Updating your motherboard chipset drivers might not be a bad idea either.

Sky115

Sky115

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey, thanks for the response.

I was looking at this drivers page and I see the Feb. 2011 patch but it appears to be for vista/xp? I have windows 7 so I assumed the Jun. 2010 patch there was the latest one for me, that's the one I have with the problem persisting. Should I try the vista/xp patch?

Thanks

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Sorry about the late response Easter holidays and demanding GF.

If the driver doesn't state Windows 7 then don't install it. I even downloaded the driver but the readme file included with the setup program didn't have any usable information in it.

Have you tried uninstalling and then reinstalling the current sound card drivers?

Sky115

Sky115

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
No problem,

I followed your advice and updated my chipset drivers (and also video drivers for the heck of it) and haven't had the problem for a couple days now, even trying to replicate it on purpose, so I'm very nearly ready to declare it fixed. Updating the chipset drivers also seemed to have other benefits, for example my computer gets up and running significantly faster now as well. If the problem does show up again I will try reinstalling sound card drivers and you might hear from me again.

Thanks very much for you help!

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Glad I could help!