Am running in safe mode. Computer is an IBM that has had mother board replaced. Asus P4V8X-MX mother board, Windows XP SP 3.
Recieved message "Generic host controller has encountered a problem and needs to close". Now have a boatload of problems. Have listed all I have found so far. Do not know if they are connected or not.
1) Computer hangs on welcome screen on booting, hence running in safe mode
2) Can not turn computer off using on-off button
3) Can not turn computer off using "turn computer off" or "restart" from start menu
4) Have to unplug computer to turn off
5) Found online solutions that use the "run" option. When I use this option and enter text then press enter, an hourglass appears beside the curser then disappears. Nothing else happens.
6) When the computer was in regular mode, it took a loooong time to go online. Once online, ran as normal
As I said, do not know if problems are related. All started after I began recieving error message. Message appears after computer on for a couple hours.
Thanks in advance.