Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

frequent crashes on laptop with vista, sometimes with blue screen

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Hi,

I'm sorry but it's hard to tell what went wrong here. To avoid future infection please read these recommendations:

A common attack method for hacking attempts and malware installs is to exploit known vulnerabilities in programs that are commonly installed on a person's computer. These vulnerabilities could allow a remote user or malware developer to install malware, keyloggers, and backdoors on to your computer without your knowledge or permission.
Some of the programs that are commonly exploited include Adobe Shockwave, Adobe Reader, Sun Java, Adobe Flash, and even Windows itself. Therefore it is crucial that everyone remain vigilant as to when a security vulnerability is found in our installed programs and to update it when a security update is released. Unfortunately, no one has the time to stay on top of these updates, which can happen frequently.

I highly recommend you to install Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI) that can be used to scan your computer for known vulnerable programs, provide information on the vulnerability, and provide a location to an update for the vulnerable program. A tutorial on how to use Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI) can be found here: Keep Software Updated with Secunia PSI.

Web Browsers - Picking the right internet browser is very important. You need to find one that suits your needs but that is also safe. All browsers listed below are far more secure than Internet Explorer, immune to almost all known browser hijackers, and also have the best built-in pop up blockers.

Although, if you prefer staying with Internet Explorer I highly recommend you do this :

Make Internet Explorer more secure:
  • Click Start > Run
  • Type Inetcpl.cpl & click OK
  • Click on the Security tab
  • Click Reset all zones to default level
  • Make sure the Internet Zone is selected & Click Custom level
  • In the ActiveX section, set the options Download signed and unsigned ActiveX controls to Prompt, and Initialize and Script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable.
  • Next click OK, then Apply button and then OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

Tips to protect yourself against malware and reduce the potential for re-infection:

Advertisements

wargoat

wargoat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hey, while cleaning up after all the trouble, I was searching for office cause i can't find it anymore, doing so i ran into a folder named 7-zip. I only recently downloaded 7-zip because of previous instructions. In this folder was a text file and an ISO telling me that if i extracted the ISO i could install MS Office 2007 with it. While extracting i got a virus notification telling me launcher.exe from in the extracted folder contained TR/Agent.245181.A. I'm guessing executing the launcher wouldn't be the wisest idea. I'm especially wondering where this folder came from and how to get this virus completely removed of my system. Thx

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Hi,

It sounds like a pirated version of Office 2007. Yes this could be source of your infection.

wargoat

wargoat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Ok I formatted all hard drives and I'm installing windows 7 again now. Could you give me some tips about what to do next when i start with a fresh computer like programs I really should install and stuff. And what about the backup on my external drive? Is there a way to scan this for possible malware?

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Hi,

First you have to install antivirus program. I recommend you Microsoft Security Essentials.

Next I recommend you to download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Run a scan with this tool on regular basis let's say once per week. I also recommend you to buy it and upgrade to Pro version which brings you real-time proactive protection.

For safer web surfing I recommend you to install WOT browser add-on. The WOT add-on shows you which websites you can trust based on millions of users' experiences.

Windows 7 has a build-in backup application. Click on Start then on Control Panel. In Control Panel click on System and Security and then on Backup and Restore. Follow instructions there to set up backup on your external hard drive.

Is there a way to scan this for possible malware?

If you mean your external hard drive, you can scan it with your installed antivirus program.

Updates for Windows - One of the essentials is to keep your computer updated with the latest operating system patches and security fixes. Windows Updates are constantly being revised to combat the newest hacks and threats, Microsoft releases security updates that help your computer from becoming vulnerable. It is best if you have these set to download automatically.

How to turn on Automatic Updates for Windows:

Updates for other installed software

A common attack method for hacking attempts and malware installs is to exploit known vulnerabilities in programs that are commonly installed on a person's computer. These vulnerabilities could allow a remote user or malware developer to install malware, keyloggers, and backdoors on to your computer without your knowledge or permission.
Some of the programs that are commonly exploited include Adobe Shockwave, Adobe Reader, Sun Java, Adobe Flash, and even Windows itself. Therefore it is crucial that everyone remain vigilant as to when a security vulnerability is found in our installed programs and to update it when a security update is released. Unfortunately, no one has the time to stay on top of these updates, which can happen frequently.

I highly recommend you to install Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI) that can be used to scan your computer for known vulnerable programs, provide information on the vulnerability, and provide a location to an update for the vulnerable program. A tutorial on how to use Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI) can be found here: Keep Software Updated with Secunia PSI.

Web Browsers - Picking the right internet browser is very important. You need to find one that suits your needs but that is also safe. All browsers listed below are far more secure than Internet Explorer, immune to almost all known browser hijackers, and also have the best built-in pop up blockers.

Although, if you prefer staying with Internet Explorer I highly recommend you do this :

Make Internet Explorer more secure:
  • Click Start > Run
  • Type Inetcpl.cpl & click OK
  • Click on the Security tab
  • Click Reset all zones to default level
  • Make sure the Internet Zone is selected & Click Custom level
  • In the ActiveX section, set the options Download signed and unsigned ActiveX controls to Prompt, and Initialize and Script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable.
  • Next click OK, then Apply button and then OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

Tips to protect yourself against malware and reduce the potential for re-infection:

wargoat

wargoat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Ok thanks that's a very nice start. Second problem is the laptop had graphics by nvidia but by formatting it all it doesn't seem to find that anymore. How can I get it back cause it doens't even find gforce anymore?

Downloading microsoft security essentials from the link you gave me didn't work. While extracting i got an error: corrupt file.

Edited by wargoat, 12 June 2011 - 03:24 PM.

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Hi,

You have to download and install appropriate driver for your graphics adapter here.

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts

Downloading microsoft security essentials from the link you gave me didn't work. While extracting i got an error: corrupt file.

This is official Microsoft site. I doubt that problem is on Microsoft side.

Try this free antivirus instead: avast! Home Edition

wargoat

wargoat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Alright, downloaded drivers for nvidia but it weren't those for a geforce product and I'm quite sure i remember i had Gforce. Is it possible by formatting it can't recognize Gforce anymore?

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
I need some more information here so please proceed with this:

• Please download Speccy from here install and run it.
  • Wait a few minutes then click File menu then Save as Text file... and save report to your desktop.
  • Open that txt file in Notepad and find Operating System section and delete this line: Serial Number: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
  • Save it by clicking on File and thes on Save.
  • Please attach that report in your next reply.

How to add an attachment to a new topic or reply

Advertisements

wargoat

wargoat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Here you go, I'm glad to see Geforce is still in it, yet Nvidia didn't install the drivers for it when it custom searched my laptop.

Attached Files

wargoat

wargoat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Ok, got Geforce running again, after another reboot it suddenly worked as you can see in speccy attachment. It is still a bit hot or is that normal?
The only problem i have left now is that i lost Microsoft office and I can't seem to get it back from my back-up.

Attached Files

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Drivers for your graphics adapter are here.

wargoat

wargoat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Gave microsoft security essentials another try and this time i can download it, probably had to do because last download wasn't for windows 7, 32-bit. Should i uninstall avast then?

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Well it's up to you. Both antivirus programs are good. I would say stay with Avast.

Graphics cards are hot. We can't do anything about it especially that this is laptop.

You need to find installation disks for Office and install it from them.