Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BROKEN LINKS

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Good.

I will be on vaction for the next 12 days so replies will be very slow.

Ron

Advertisements

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Ron:

I was just getting ready to disconnect my PC and send it out the door tomorrow and decided to give it one last go around to see if it's clean, I decided to run Malwarebytes and did a Quick Scan, and found 8 infections .... see the SNAPSHOT, I couldn't believe it. I have the Log from this Scan, do you want me to post it ???

As you read this post, I'm getting ready to do a complete AVAST scan to see if anything is found I will post any Logs thereafter.

What would you have me to do with the Malwarebytes infections.

Thanks !!!

simplee55

Attached Thumbnails

• Attachment No. 1.JPG

Edited by simplee55, 29 May 2011 - 07:43 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.

* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.

The adware may have been part of the original load of software. It's not uncommon that your PC maker may install some adware.

I expect the PUMs were something that McAfee did. Stands for potentially unwanted modifications. Can't see enough of it to be sure but they like to turn off the firewall and then sometimes the security center.

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.

* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected. Yes, that's what I did and now all the infectons are in Quarantine. Should I totally DELETE them or just leave alone ??? This PC has been sold, so what should I do.

The adware may have been part of the original load of software. It's not uncommon that your PC maker may install some adware.
Yes, I totally believe that.

I expect the PUMs were something that McAfee did. Stands for potentially unwanted modifications. Can't see enough of it to be sure but they like to turn off the firewall and then sometimes the security center.

I ran Malwarebyts twice, so there's two (2) Logs, do you want me to Post them ???

And did a full AVAST Scan, and found no infections there. Is there anything else I should do before I disconnect the PC ???

I did a search on Yahoo to see what this Gdown infection was. I'm sure you know this but, thought I would post this information so you can see for yourself.

Adware is a type of advertising-supported software that automatically generates ads on a computer. Adware Gdown is one type of adware that can slow down and damage a computer's operations. I believe that Yahoo is also responsible for this. I have the free Yahoo home page that comes with all these ADS that I hate, I have several AD Stoppers that I downloaded on Chrome to stop them, they work okay, but I was told by Yahoo's Customer Service that if I want all ADS to stop, I would have to purchase a Home Page that does not have the ADS.

Adware Gdown can produce malicious files and consume resources and system space, causing computer operations to slow and applications to freeze. Adware Gdown can also destroy software, hardware and other crucial data, and disable programs such as security tools. Adware Gdown may act as spyware, or software that tracks and records personal user information, and then send the information to third parties online. This is some of what I notice that is happening with the system now, there is some kind of lag going on, meaning, after I open up the Chrome browser and want to go to any page, doesn't matter, it appears like it's not doing any thing, and then that page finally opens. When this 1st happened, I hit the Browser button twice because I thought I had not hit it and got two opened browsers instead of one, has never done that before.