Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant run disk cleanup on windows 2000 professional

• Please log in to reply

peanutsmommy6681

peanutsmommy6681

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am having the worst trouble with this used computer I got from work to do school work on. I cannot run disk cleanup and my computer is getting slower and slower, also my virus scans and such are taking alot longer because of all the temporary internet files. I start disk cleanup and then it says "Scanning... Compress Old Files" and it just gets stuck and never moves from there. How can I get this scan to work so that I can clean my computer? Thanks.

Edited by peanutsmommy6681, 29 May 2005 - 10:31 AM.

Advertisements

raziel00

raziel00

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi peanutsmommy6681,

I know what your going throught.

Althought the disk cleaner takes time on old compressed files, its not hanging it just takes alot of time, but no fear heres a solution that worked for me

regsvr32 c:\winnt\\system32\zipfldr.dll /u or

regsvr32 c:\windows\\system32\zipfldr.dll /u if installed in the windows directory

To turn this feature back on:

regsvr32 c:\winnt\\system32\zipfldr.dll or

regsvr32 c:\windows\\system32\zipfldr.dll if installed in the windows directory

And this does the trick.
Give me followup to see if it worked for you or not.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try tune up trial which will clean the drive and hopefully to a point where the system disc clean up can work

http://www.tune-up.com

Guest_usetobe_*

Guest_usetobe_*
Download and install CleanUp! Here