Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Locking up [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

black_hull_coastie

black_hull_coastie

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok, my computer has been a brat lately. I ran all the adware/spyware/cleanup utilities. did a defrag and ran a scandisk from dos with a full surface scan. My computer will still freeze at random. sometimes its just a 2 second "hiccup" sometimes its 15 seconds. other times it will freeze for good and i have to manualy restart the computer. I was wondering if my hard drive was on its way out as its 5 years old and runs most of the day. Occasionally when it freezes up for good, i'll hear a clicking noise coming from the HD *when i move the mouse* and it stops as soon as i stop moving the mouse. I was considering replacing my HD with a new one(get rid of my 4600 RPM dinosaur) but one of the "geeks" in one of the other forums told me to post my log here......... so here goes! thanks in advance!!!

mark

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:28:06 AM, on 5/29/2005
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SSDPSRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ATI2EVXX.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSRTE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPSYSDRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\USBMMKBD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\ATI TECHNOLOGIES\ATI CONTROL PANEL\ATIPTAXX.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSSHLD.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSESCN.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\MCAGENT.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\HP\HP SOFTWARE UPDATE\HPWUSCHD2.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\HP\HPCORETECH\HPCMPMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\PERSONAL FIREWALL\MPFTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\DRWATSON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERMUTE\SPYSUBTRACT\SPYSUB.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\PERSONAL FIREWALL\MPFAGENT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\AIM95\AIM.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSFTSN.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINAMP\WINAMP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPScanPatch] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPScanFix.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [USBMMKBD] usbmmkbd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\MCUPDATE.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCMNHDLR.EXE" /checktask
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] "C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\mcvsshld.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] "C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Component Manager] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\HP\HPCORETECH\HPCMPMGR.EXE"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfigReminder] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\msconfig.exe /reminder
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPFTray] C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\PERSON~1\MPFTRAY.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SSDPSRV] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ssdpsrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ATIPOLL] ati2evxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ATISmart] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ati2s9ag.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [McVsRte] C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\mcvsrte.exe /embedding
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [KB891711] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
O4 - Startup: Shortcut to DRWATSON.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\DRWATSON.EXE
O4 - Startup: SpySubtract.lnk = C:\Program Files\interMute\SpySubtract\SpySub.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AIM Search - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\AIM TOOLBAR\AIMBAR.DLL/aimsearch.htm
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\PROGRA~1\MESSEN~1\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: MSN Messenger Service - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\PROGRA~1\MESSEN~1\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\AIM95\AIM.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Corel Network monitor worker - {4227C2D6-454E-4E8B-B3C9-E016B50C3D88} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IEGFXFRW.DLL
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Corel Network monitor worker - {4227C2D6-454E-4E8B-B3C9-E016B50C3D88} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IEGFXFRW.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {237AA178-C3BC-4f67-A8BB-D8BC14BA0B89} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\REMOVE_ME.DLL (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: MoneySide - {E023F504-0C5A-4750-A1E7-A9046DEA8A21} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyside.dll
O9 - Extra button: Corel Network monitor worker - {4227C2D6-454E-4E8B-B3C9-E016B50C3D88} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IEGFXFRW.DLL (HKCU)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Corel Network monitor worker - {4227C2D6-454E-4E8B-B3C9-E016B50C3D88} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IEGFXFRW.DLL (HKCU)
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {237AA178-C3BC-4f67-A8BB-D8BC14BA0B89} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\REMOVE_ME.DLL (file missing) (HKCU)
O16 - DPF: {1D0D9077-3798-49BB-9058-393499174D5D} - file://c:\counter.cab
O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} (McAfee.com Operating System Class) - http://download.mcaf...84/mcinsctl.cab
O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} (DwnldGroupMgr Class) - http://download.mcaf...,21/mcgdmgr.cab

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Did you follow the recomendations here?

If not, please do and reboot your computer. Then post back with a new log :tazz:

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Also another solution may be your harddrive as you thought, it is very old, and older units like this can just start to "go" as they are old... I would highly recommend backing up all your data before you use it and look into getting a new harddrive

black_hull_coastie

black_hull_coastie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
thanks soxrok. (im from beantown myself). I think the course of action im going to take now is to...........

Replace my HD. its old and slow. found out it was only 4600RPM the other day. Id like to explore the options of running 2 HD's. Using one for cruising most of the internet and running programs i KNOW arent good for my computer (ie Kazaa) and using the other one for safe stuff like gaming, banking, going to trusted sites and email. Any advise on this before i cruise over to the other forums and ask about it? thanks!
mark

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.