Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IDE jumper settings

• Please log in to reply

arf

arf

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hi

I am putting together another PC with all of the old parts that I have. I have a motherboard with only one IDE slot. I have an old hard drive that uses IDE and not SATA.

I have read that you can connect both CD-rom and hard drive with one IDE (although speeds will be lowered). I need to do this because I need to install windows onto the hard drive.

Which one drive should i set as master/slave or should i both put them jumpers as CS. I set them both as master and BIOS does not recognize any IDE drives. I plan on removing the cd-rom drive after windows has been installed. thanks for ur help

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

have read that you can connect both CD-rom and hard drive with one IDE (although speeds will be lowered). I need to do this because I need to install windows onto the hard drive.

Uh if the system is that old then you won't notice the speed anyway.
The HD should be set to master and be on the connection at the end of the ribbon.
The cdrom will be set as slave and be connected to the middle connection.
Make sure to set the bios boot sequence so that the cdrom is the first boot device.

arf

arf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
thank you

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 4 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.