Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unexpected browser windows opening with adware

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

michaelg9

michaelg9

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,949 posts
Hello,

I'm not sure about the Chrome plugin, as I don't use Chrome.

Every time I tried this, Combofix would run and want to scan all over again. I'm not sure if it's completely gone yet, but maybe.

Try this:

The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset System Restore points:

Click Start > Run and copy/paste the following bolded text into the Run box and click OK:

ComboFix /Uninstall

If it doesn't work, download the uninstaller and run it

I do not believe that there is a Recovery Console option in Windows 7; it is called Startup Repair.

Yes, that was for Windows XP as you can read in the Article, it's just my closing speech that needs an update...You will understand if you go through the class for removing malware :unsure:

Oh, and FYI I have applied to GeekU because of my interest and fascination with this entire process, and my interest in helping others.

Good luck with this, I hope we see you on our side in the future :)

Advertisements

DanoNH

DanoNH

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 2,155 posts
Thanks, the uninstaller seems to have worked. And so did the sidebar shortcut suggestion. I never saw this in the Startup folder; I think I may have seen it in the registry before...

Thanks again for your help, Michael! So far, so good. A couple more clean scans and I'll be convinced.

I look forward to GeekU.

-Dan

michaelg9

michaelg9

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,949 posts
Hello,
You can run a scan with your antivirus (Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security) if you want.
Apart from that, do you want me to give you instructions for additional scans? I believe that it isn't necessary.

DanoNH

DanoNH

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 2,155 posts
No, providing instructions for additional scans is not necessary, thank you. I just need to see some clean scans for a while after dealing with malware for so long :)

Currently my Trend Micro gets stuck during a Full Scan, somewhere between 12 and 16%. I've done some homework on it, but I'm just not as much of a Trend fan as I used to be. Their classic Internet Security suites were really good, imho. This latest generation, Titanium, is an over-simplified version that could very well have compatibility issues with the operating system itself.

Do you have any personal experience with the Agnitum Outpost Security Suite Free version?

Thanks for everything... Dan

Edited by DanoNH, 25 May 2011 - 04:42 PM.

michaelg9

michaelg9

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,949 posts
Hello,

No, personally I don't use Internet Suites, as they provide much more security than I need, consequently taking a big amount of system resources, so I use a free, but good antivirus, like avira or avast, a firewall, and some other plugins for web browsers, mixed with Windows security features like UAC, and I'm always clean :)
Most crucial of all, it's to know what you're downloading

If you don't have any other questions, I can close this topic so you can apply to GeekU

DanoNH

DanoNH

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 2,155 posts
Hi Michael,

You may close this topic, yes.

Thanks... Dan

michaelg9

michaelg9

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,949 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.