Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

256 color

• Please log in to reply

dropofjupiter22

dropofjupiter22

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Help!!! Myn friend was playing on my computer then all of a sudden the option ot have 256n color was gone and i cant fix it, all it shows me is 16 colors, and 2 colors. What do i do? I have tried all the other tips you gave others but none of them work , my computer is a cheap piece that my dad bought me so i dunno what kind it is or anything. Can you help me?

Edited by dropofjupiter22, 29 May 2005 - 11:15 AM.

Advertisements

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

I have tried all the other tips you gave others but none of them work

Which tips have you tried? If you post a detailed description of what you have tried already, I'd have a better idea of how to deal with your problem.

dropofjupiter22

dropofjupiter22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
"Right click on your My Computer icon in the start menu. Then click on the Hardware tab. Then click on the Device Manager button and a new window will pop-up with all your drivers listed there. Look under other, i think that is where you will find the Display drivers hopefully. Or Simply look under all the ones and you will hopefully see a yellow triangle with a black exclamation mark in it - indicating that drivers are missing or need updating. Double click and it should do the rest for you!!!
Hopefully this should work!! If it doesn't post back here, and we'll see what we can do"

His was advice given to someone else with the same problem, but i cant find the display drivers, or my device manager. Can you help or am i out of luck?

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Hi dropofjupiter22

Those instructions are not the best. What they meant to say was
  • Right click My Computer choose Properties
  • Now in the System Properties window which should pop up click Device Manager
  • Be sure View devices by type is checked
  • Click plus in front of DISPLAY
  • Under Display should appear the name of your video card.
  • If there is a yellow triangle with a black exclamation mark in it then this indicates that drivers are missing or need updating.
Can you find your Device manager now? What is the name of your video card and are the drivers installed?

I would recommend you download Everest Home Edition Install this program run it, and generate a report. Save the report to your desktop and attach it to your next post. That way I can find the right driver for your system if that is the problem.

Also a question, I'm assuming windows 98. Does this machine have multiple windows user accounts? If so does this problem affect every user?

A quick check
  • Close all open windows
  • Click Start and then Run
  • Type msconfig and then hit Enter
  • On the General Tab click Advanced
  • Is the box in front of VGA 640x480x16 checked? If so uncheck and click OK
  • Click Apply and then OK
  • If ask to reboot click OK. If not ask reboot anyway.
  • Now check Display properties

dropofjupiter22

dropofjupiter22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Well i got to the display part but then it just shows a tiny little computer screen and beside it says Standard PCI graphics adapter, but theres no little exclamation point or nothing.
In answer to your question: not htat i know of that there are any other users, like when my blue screen comes up it just syas my name but dont have to put in a password or anything, so im assuming hteres no other users.
*puzzled look* *sighs in confusing*

BTW im sorry that i having trouble understanding , mi just not much of a computer person.

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Go to control panel and click on Users to see the users of your system. But at this point it doesn't matter. I believe Windows is using a default VGA driver because it has lost the driver for your video card. We need to know what Video Card you have. So Please download Everest as I suggested and run a report. Once we know the video card, we can find the right drivers and fix your problem. no exclamation point in Device manager is a good sign, that means it's working.

dropofjupiter22

dropofjupiter22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
This is what the report gave me on diplay stuff..
Display:
Video Adapter Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA)
3D Accelerator SiS 300 Integrated
Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB]

if its not the right stuff jsut let me know and i will post the whole report.Thanks so much for your help.

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Yeah post it all. add it as an attachment if ya can :tazz:

dropofjupiter22

dropofjupiter22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
okay theres the report i sure hope it doenst have anything on it any one can use against me.Anyways let me know.

Attached Files

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
I think I have it. I found it before ya posted your attachment, but thanks for doing so. ;) Go to http://www.sis.com/support/ and choose product Identification. It should identify the chipset model of your SiS-based system and direct you to download the correct driver.

With any luck we got it :tazz:

Advertisements

dropofjupiter22

dropofjupiter22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
okay when i download this it will fix the problem or do i need to tell you then you can help?

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
It should fix the problem, but let me know if you have problem installing or if it doesn't fix it.

dropofjupiter22

dropofjupiter22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
the page to downlod stuff is giving me like 4 options to pick form and i dont jknow which one to choose, this is what it says i have
Results:

North Bridge Chipset: 630E
South Bridge Chipset: 960
Graphics Processing Unit: UniVGA

then i go to graphics option on that page:
http://www.sis.com/o...8&n...B 1.1 x 2

then it gives me options.............. im so confused..........
Heres the site that the options are on....
http://www.sis.com/d...nload_step1.php

i dunno get back to me cause i cant figuare this out.

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Download the driver for your operating system, in particular SiS630/730 Graphic Driver(Win9x/ME). You can Click Here to go to the agreement page, check I accept to the above,and choose a location and then click Download Now

Download the file, but before installing I would back up your registry first. Click Start and then Run type scanregw into the run edit box and hit enter. When ask if you wish to back up the system registry click Yes. This is in the event the driver doesn't work right and I want to be sure you have a current backup of your system files in the event we need it later.

Now install the driver, reboot and try to adjust your Display properties the way you want them. If you can't do this it doesn't work or you need further clarification post here again.

simi

simi

• Pip
  • 3 posts

the page to downlod stuff is giving me like 4 options to pick form and i dont jknow which one to choose, this is what it says i have
Results:

North Bridge Chipset: 630E 
South Bridge Chipset: 960
Graphics Processing Unit: UniVGA 

then i go to graphics option on that page:
http://www.sis.com/o...8&n...B 1.1 x 2

View Post