Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

games programming! in C++

• Please log in to reply

Ultimate_Fusion

Ultimate_Fusion

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am at uni doing computer science and interested in game programming.
i just have a few questions . . .
are most games programmed in C++?
how long will it take to learn i mean to get good enough to do a game like dig dug (a classic man)?
(p.s I found java easyish and not much of a challenge, and was sick of ready made methods, and want to make interesting software or games!)

next question - how to turn c++ code into code that an xbox/gamecube can run?

last question - about graphics and animation - I know like games like sonic 3d you have to design a charater and use programming move it. will I need to learn anything special to do that or will I come across it when learning C++.

any help/advise will be much Appreciated.
thanx

Advertisements

Ntd

Ntd

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
Hey Ulitmate_Fusion,
To answer your questions most games are made in C++, it is due to its object oriented aspect.

Depends on how fast you graps C++ but after a couple of months you should be able to build small games.

"next question - how to turn c++ code into code that an xbox/gamecube can run?"

To be honest i have no idea, however i think it would just the same as a computer game, however you have to be able to produce a disk that the XBOX can read.

About the graphics, you will have to understand how to use DirectX and OpenGL.

Ultimate_Fusion

Ultimate_Fusion

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thankss for your reply to my post I just have one quick question that I need to find the answer to .

its about openGl and directx with c++

question - are maps(areas characters can walk around e.g worlds) and characters the can move and have moveable body parts made in the c++ openGL code? if not what programe can be used to make them and then apply the c++ code to it?

Ntd

Ntd

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
Hey hey! maps are made by map making programs and not in a language, usualy the game that you want to make a map for comes with a map making program (most online/multiplayer games do, not to sure about most single player games). Eg. Half-life/Counter-Strike has a large map making community, war carft and many others.

Now, OpenGL stands for Open Graphics Libary and it is used to control models, animations and sprites and stuff and how they interact with the world. I dont know if opengl effects maps i will look into it.

Ps. I think maps are map from binary trees, and i'm sorry to say thats as much as i know about map making.

Sorry but i am not really a mapping person. Good luck in findinig info, also those links to modding communities will have mapping sections in their forums which will be way more useful than i am. :tazz:

Modding sites:
http://www.halflife2.net/
http://www.planethalflife.com/hlsdk2/
http://www.cyberloon...me-engines.html

Note modding is (in my opinion) the best way to get into game programming

Edited by Ntd, 30 May 2005 - 11:07 PM.

boob

boob

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
I plan to start learning C++ soon so I purchased what I think seems to be a pretty good beginning book for it, it's call C++ Without Fear and it's by Brian Overland. It might be worth checking out.