Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7: High-speed USB 2.0 not recognized

• Please log in to reply

AngieBatgirl

AngieBatgirl

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Recently, I've been having a problem where Windows 7 isn't recognizing my high-speed USB ports. Whenever I plug my device in (usually my Kindle or iPod), a box pops up and says "The USB device can perform faster if you connect it to a High Speed USB 2.0 port". I've had this computer for 2 months and it's been doing this for about 3 weeks. I first noticed it when I was trying to transfer files to my external hard drive. It was taking a very long time for a small file. One of my USB ports has a 1TB external hard drive plugged into it and the other is usually empty, unless I need to charge my Kindle, phone or iPod. I can't charge these devices via USB anymore.

I have a HP p6733w with Windows 7 Home Premium x64

When I go into the Device manager, both of my high-speed USB ports have a Posted Image. When I open Properties and look at the device status, it says this:

Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)

I did google this error but I had a hard time finding any real, helpful information. Most of the solutions mentioned updating the drivers but according to Windows, they are updated.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
"Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device"

That's very strange considering that usb drivers are Microsoft's own drivers built into Windows - I would be most surprised if they didn't have a valid digital signature. Therefore, it's more likely to be driver corruption preventing Windows from reading the driver files.

See how far back System Restore will allow you to go. If it allows you to chhose a restore point that's at least 3 weeks old, that may fix the problem.
Otherwise you will have to do a repair install if you have a Windows 7 installation DVD: http://tech.gaeatime...-fix-windows-7/

If that's not possible, I can only suggest you perform a factory recovery.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 29 April 2011 - 03:28 AM.

AngieBatgirl

AngieBatgirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Yeah HP didn't give me a Windows 7 disc with this computer. I would do a system restore but I've been working with someone else to fix my Firefox redirect issue and it would undo everything I did so far.

I guess I'll have to do a factory recovery. It just sucks cuz I've only had this computer since mid-February.

ETA: Someone on Microsoft Answers suggested this:

http://forums.mydigi...d-how-to-fix-it)

and it worked! Oh I am so relieved :unsure:

Edited by AngieBatgirl, 29 April 2011 - 10:26 PM.

debo0072

debo0072

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm having the same issue, I've had my computer for 3 years and then all of a sudden I get that message. Have you found a solution yet.

AngieBatgirl

AngieBatgirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Yes, if you read the post above yours, you will see that I posted a link to the solution