Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cpu heatsink issues.... thermal grease?

• Please log in to reply

kate0558

kate0558

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
So my computer was going black (although still power going to it... fans still spinning) after like 15 minutes of being on.

So I figured it wasn't cooling properly and since i just replaced the case fan i figure its the cpu cooler...
So the computer will stay on fine with the side of the case off and a large fan blowing on it.

but when you actually put on the side... goes black again.

So I came to the conclusion that something must be wrong with the cpu cooler.
So i ordered one and for some reason i accidentally got the 70mm one instead of the 80mm one. (just a simple stock replacement)
I was still able to put it on fine and clipped in just like the stock one was even though it was a different size.
I figured 70mm wouldn't make much of a difference... as long as it still fits. which it does.

but it still goes black after like 15 min.
is there a problem with the new cooler?
also it came with pre applied thermal grease in the shape of a circle while the area it goes onto is a square... could this be the problem?
Also, I realized after removing my old cpu heatsink that the thermal grease seamed dried up... is it possible that was the only problem?
but if so why is the new one not working?

Any ideas would be helpful?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi kate0558

So i ordered one and for some reason i accidentally got the 70mm one instead of the 80mm one. (just a simple stock replacement)
I was still able to put it on fine and clipped in just like the stock one was even though it was a different size.
I figured 70mm wouldn't make much of a difference... as long as it still fits. which it does.

Stock CPU fans are just that, if a 70mm fan was adequate the system builder/manufacturer would have used one, the 80mm type was obviously deemed the most effective so I would recommend you source an 80mm fan a.s.a.p.

but it still goes black after like 15 min.
is there a problem with the new cooler?
also it came with pre applied thermal grease in the shape of a circle while the area it goes onto is a square... could this be the problem?
Also, I realized after removing my old cpu heat sink that the thermal grease seamed dried up... is it possible that was the only problem?
but if so why is the new one not working?

In addition to the possibility that the size of the CPU fan is too small there are other possibilities;
1: The CPU fan is on upside down resulting in warm air actually being drawn down towards the CPU instead of away from.
2: The fins on the heat sink being clogged with dust preventing adequate air circulation.
3: Insufficient front to rear case extraction resulting in warm air being recirculated and thus becoming hot air.
4: Untidy cabling/ribbons restricting air flow resulting in the same outcome as No 3.
5: Insufficient TIM applied, see below;
For the TIM (thermal interface material) information I suggest you read the tutorial written by Digerati @
http://www.geekstogo...rface-material/
The above list is in no particular order but insufficient TIM has an immediate affect whereas dust build up or poor cooling kills your computer over time.

You have not mentioned whether you have an add on video card!
If you do this is also worthy of attention, does it have a cooling fan and if so is the fan clean and working correctly, if you have an add on card that has no fan but is cooled by a heat sink is the heat sink free of dust or even in place, they can sometimes become detached and need to be reattached using TIM.
Above is some food for thought and hopefully it will help you to resolve the issue, let us know how it goes or if we can be of assistance.

kate0558

kate0558

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thanks. I pput some new thermal grease on my original heatsink/fan and put that back on and it seemed to be working a little better... temps were staying lower... and it stayed on longer this time... but after like 45 min it went black again.

I am running on an external graphics card.... its a 1gb with a small built in fan. it was dusty so i cleaned it out...
Also about 6 months ago.... the screen was staying black. Wouldnt turn on.... so i switched plugs from the main computer port to the one on the graphics card... worked great... havennt had a problem since..

I would say it could be the graphics card... but that doesnt explain why its staying on when theres direct air blowing on it with the side of the case off.

Unless genius gateway just uused a very poor ventilated case... with only a small fan in the back.....

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

3: Insufficient front to rear case extraction resulting in warm air being recirculated and thus becoming hot air.

I would say it could be the graphics card... but that doesnt explain why its staying on when theres direct air blowing on it with the side of the case off.

Unless genius gateway just uused a very poor ventilated case... with only a small fan in the back.....
The last statement just about sums it up, if you do not have the scope for fitting at least 1 more good sized case fan consider getting a better case.