Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mobile rougues?

• Please log in to reply

Vocaloid

Vocaloid

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Since there are rogue Antivirus for computers , i was wondering if there are mobile rogues out there as well? For instance , i saw several mobile phone antiviruses available for download at www.mobile9.com,
but these mobile antiviruses are not from AVG, Kaspersky ,Avira or others. So is there a possibility that these might be mobile rogues?

By the way, mobile9.com is a legitimate website that contains many free games and software for various models of mobile phones , but it is also a good source of mobile malware.I have got infected many times in the past before.

Sorry for my bad English

-Vocaloid

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Vocaloid,

I can't answer as to whether they're rogues (I'm certainly not going to download one to find out!), but given that mobile antivirus programs are a relatively new area, I would only trust one from one of the major antivirus vendors, especially since many of those are still beta versions. ESET, the makers of NOD32, just released their beta version, for example. Mobile antivirus programs don't work exactly the same way as PC antivirus programs; they really primarily on heuristics to identify potential threats, whereas a regular PC antivirus can use a combination of definitions to identify known threats, and heuristics to identify potential threats. The major vendors would most likely have much better heuristic models than some other company that is looking to just create mobile apps.

By the way, mobile9.com is a legitimate website that contains many free games and software for various models of mobile phones , but it is also a good source of mobile malware.I have got infected many times in the past before.

I would argue that any site that allows any infected downloads at all is not truly legitimate, and not to be trusted ever. A legitimate site would ensure that all of the apps available are malware free and trustworthy. If I were you, I would think twice about continuing to use it. I would only need to be infected once in order to stop using it. Why are you continuing to do so? You're putting your private data, and possibly the private data of your contacts, at risk by doing so.

Vocaloid

Vocaloid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi sari,

Thank you for replying and sharing your views. I guess you are right , i really shouldn't use that site. Thanks for the advice and information!

-vocaloid

CustomiZer

CustomiZer

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
rouge antivirus for java mobiles are very common though I'm not familiar with other mobile OS. But android is yet to see the first of its kind.