Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SMSS.exe Virus Problem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Okay, thanks. I am the only one that uses this computer so I am not worried about someone deleting files.

Okay, I did OTL. Do you want any of the logs?

AVG is a resource hog, but it has its good points. Originally, I also tried Avast, but I liked AVG better.

Edited by Dom Fontana, 08 May 2011 - 09:11 AM.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
No there is no requirement for the logs

All I can say now is " go and get infected no more " :unsure:

If any further problems come up then just shout - but I feel you are now good to go :)

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Great, I will let you know when I complete the last cleanup step.

Quick question, Will Malware Bytes interfere with AVG? I have them both installed now?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
No there is no conflict

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Well, I am all done and everything seems great. That Puran Defrag was vey good and I also dl'ed the Hippo program.

First, I would like to nominate you for Moderator of the Year! Come on everyone, let's hear it for Esexboy! Yippee - Yahoo - WooHoo! :)

Seriously though, thank you very much. Your time, energy, perseverance, dedication, and devotion are very much appreciated. Thanks a million.

As you suggested, I will get back to you tomorrow and let you know how everything is. Right now, everything is fine.

Thanks again. You're the best!

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
:) I thrive on praise - It was my pleasure as I learnt a lot about the new variant from this :unsure:

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
That's good; at least it was something new for you. Well, it's Mother's Day, so I will be going to my mother's now to spend the day with her. Thanks again.

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Hi, Essex.

Since yesterday, everything seems fine with the computer. No problems at all. Just keeping you posted.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Methinks you may consider yourself clean :)

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Do I have to do anything else here, like select that the problem was resolved to my satisfaction? Some sites have that and you are supposed to do that to close the thread.

Advertisements

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
I checked System Restore and that Restore Point I made called Clean is no longer there. It says I have not created any Restore Points yet. Do you know why it would say that?

Thanks.

Edited by Dom Fontana, 10 May 2011 - 05:54 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Could you create one now and check that it is working

As for the resolved issue - I take care of that :)

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
I already did create another Restore Point and will check tomorrow to make sure it's still there. Thanks so much.

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Unbelievable. Everytime I try to get out, they pull me back in. :)

I had a problem again. I got a Walmart pop-up, which is what I had last time. Then when I rebooted, I got the blue screen again that said Internal Power Failure. I then immediately did an AVG Scan. Now get this. An update was available so I updated AVG and they now added a Rootkit scan. I figured they must have spoken to you. haha.

Anyway, the RootKit scan came up clean, but the regular scan didn't. It found 2 infections and 1 warning that was from the Geeks to Go Folder I still had on my desktop. I figured that was a false positive. I have attached the AVG log. I also did a MalwareBytes scan right after that and it came up clean.

Everything seems to be working perfectly again, but I was just a litle concerned that I got infected again. I go on the Internet daily for years and rarely get infected. I am just a little concerned that I've gotten infected now a few times over the last 2 weeks.

I just thought I would let you know about it.

Thanks for everything.

Attached Files

Edited by Dom Fontana, 11 May 2011 - 07:58 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Both detections were in a quarantine folder so they are not a problem

DoctorWeb\Quarantine\setup__0.exe";"Trojan horse Downloader.Generic11.VFW";"Moved to Virus Vault"

Was the pop up in IE or Firefox ? Does it happen all the time or is it just random ?