Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with sound card static.

• Please log in to reply

WhydoIask?

WhydoIask?

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
I've been having lots of problems with the sound card on my ASUS G60JX Laptop, mainly problems with static and buzzing noises (in my headphones) that are absent until a microphone is plugged into my mic jack or I try to rout my Xbox 360 through my Line-in jack. After sending the laptop in for repairs twice with no impact at all (I'm not even sure they replaced the sound card or ports either time,) I noticed something: this buzzing noise still goes even when all sound is muted. This leads me to believe that the ports are at fault. I don't care at all about the warranty anymore, could replacing the ports on my laptop myself possibly fix this?

Thanks.

(P.S. I said I only hear the buzzing in my headphones, but that's only because the speakers are very cheap, quiet ones, and it's hard to hear anything out of them.)

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Have you tried another pair of headphones?

Does it do it when the notebook is running on battery?

WhydoIask?

WhydoIask?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
yes to both.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Then I doubt there's anything you can do. Replacing the ports will not likely do any good because I suspect the noise is being introduced in the circuit earlier on. If this were a PC, I would say to inspect for loose ground wired, loose connections, and a good ground at the wall outlet. But notebooks are different - especially when running on battery. Sorry.

WhydoIask?

WhydoIask?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Well, thanks anyway, then. ON a related note, do you know of any USB sound cards with a line-in jack on the cheap?

WhydoIask?

WhydoIask?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
never mind, I think I found one.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP