Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Me And Norton Antivirus Problems

• Please log in to reply

kayonalarsen

kayonalarsen

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Not sure where to begin. Got on computer the other day and it was in safe mode, I had not shut it down improperly. Pushed enter got out of safe mode but screen turned blue with red box that said nav auto. I am unable to enable my norton antivirus, it was originally enabled. Computer put up messages as follows, nav auto protect, unable to initialize the virus scanning engine databasefiles, norton antivirus auto protect driver could not be loaded, restart, tried that, didnt work, unable to load definitions. Also found out that I cant access anything in my control panel. Message said, Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item. Have no clue what to do. I tried to email Gateway tech support but my email was returned as a delivery failure. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Be gentle, I'm not very computer literate. thanks Kayona. Would my system restoration disks help????????

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Welcome kayonalarsen :D

Would my system restoration disks help????????

This would be the easiest fix, however you'll likely lose everything on your computer. If you have data you need to save, we'll start working out another resolution. <_<

kayonalarsen

kayonalarsen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Really dont want to lose everything in my computer, not sure there is a lot to lose its not for business etc. just home use. Would love your help to fix this problem, hate being on the internet for fear the computer will get infected with no virus protection but dont know what else to do. Did try a system restore on the computer a few days ago but it didnt take, sigh. Havent discovered anything else that is wrong but the night is young. Thanks Kayona

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Let's try this:

Click Start->Shut Down…->Restart in MS-DOS mode
Wait until the MS-DOS Prompt appears on the screen. (Looks like: C:\WINDOWS\)
Type in the following Command:
SCANREG /RESTORE
(It should appear like this: C:\WINDOWS\SCANREG /RESTORE)
Press the Enter key
Wait until a blue screen "Microsoft Registry Checker" appears showing a maximum of 5 dates in which .cab files of Registry backup in which Windows started.

(Shown as for example:)

20-6-03 Started rb 005.cab
20-6-03 Started rb 004.cab
20-6-03 Started rb 003.cab
20-6-03 Started rb 002.cab

Using the Arrow keys, select a date before the date of the problem. Press the ENTER key.
When you get the message that a "good registry has been restored", or similar
Restart the computer (Hit CTL + ALT + DELETE) and hopefully Windows is working again. <_<

kayonalarsen

kayonalarsen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Youre probably going to thing I'm a dip but dont know how to start it in MS DOS. When I go to start and shut down all that appears is shutdown and restart, did click on help and also found rest and hibernate though. Thanks Kayona

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
No problem, Click Here to visit bootdisk.com, download the Windows ME bootdisk file to you desktop, or some other location you can remember. Insert a blank diskette and click the bootdisk file to run. It'll copy the needed files to the floppy. Restart your computer with this floppy in the drive, and it should boot to an MS-DOS prompt where you can continue the directions above.

kayonalarsen

kayonalarsen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Wont be able to try until tomorrow or next day. Sure hope it works. Will let you know either way. Thanks Kayona

kayonalarsen

kayonalarsen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

No problem, Click Here to visit bootdisk.com, download the Windows ME bootdisk file to you desktop, or some other location you can remember. Insert a blank diskette and click the bootdisk file to run. It'll copy the needed files to the floppy. Restart your computer with this floppy in the drive, and it should boot to an MS-DOS prompt where you can continue the directions above.

Finally tried and still no results. Had the son try figuring I had messed up but he couldnt get it to work either. He tried the system restore disks and said the he cant get the norton antivirus to stop running even though it says its disabled? Any suggestions? Thanks Kayona