Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Also need drivers

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Great to hear and the ultimate test will be if you can now watch videos as you previously stated. I will watch for your results. Thank you for being so patient with all the steps we have taken. :)

Advertisements

oldfeller82

oldfeller82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hello RShaffer61

Guess I didn't do something right,The Java download wasn't completely successful.
It still wont show videos, It does act like it's trying to open them but just can't make the grade. I think I am going to get a new hard drive "IDE" and put in the computer and see if that solves any of my problems. When we're ready to rebuild /update I will give the usable parts to my Brother in Law 'Who thinks he's a computer repairman.
No I don't let him work on mine. If you think this is a hair brained idea let me know.
Probably wont be on here Tuesday & Wednesday , Gotta make a payment on the Drs. Yacht.
Thanks for the help and a good listening ear when I get wound up .
oldfeller82

P.S. Liked the "Happy face.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem and Java is only part of the issue we can address.
Go HERE to test your Adobe Shockwave. If it doesn't play then there is a link to download and install the newest version. Let me know if once it is done installing if you get the animation showing. :)
If that doesn't work we can then look at your browser options and see if animation is enabled.

oldfeller82

oldfeller82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hello RShaffer61

I uninstalled Flash Player version 10.1.82.76 and installed the latest version for my operating system, Version10.3.181.34.
Some improvement but nothing you would want to write home about. no moving pictures. Just still shots. Even the Hooter dolls didn't move, Neither did "Brickyard 400"
You didn't voice an opinion about me going ahead and putting a new Hard Drive in this computer and rebuilding/updating later.
But I may also buy a new computer which I can use to get help updating this one.
Will be gone two (2) days Tests to take.
Thank for help and will let you know Wednesday night or Thursday
oldfeller82

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Replacing the hard drive in this system I think is a good ideal to at least get everything back up and running on it. My suggestion would be to backup your data and do a clean install. That will eliminate any driver issues and your system will run faster also with the fresh install.
I highly recommend building your own system. You will learn the inner workings of the system and like Dr Frankenstein there is nothing like getting it all together and clicking that power button the first time and it starts right up. What a sense of accomplishment and pride. :)

oldfeller82

oldfeller82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hello RShaffer61

Haven't done anything computer wise in two days.
Glad you think my replacing my hard drive is a good idea, My Brother in law & Son in law think I'm crazy."they may be right"
But as I said a while back, I can't do any worse than these clowns I've hired to work on it . And I'm a whole lot cheaper.
I have two questions"maybe three"I think I have 80MG on the computer now . If thats right , Can I increase the amount? The Hitachi in it now has been a good one but I saw some Western with 250 and 300+MG at a very good price.
What do you recommend ? We're having a tax free weekend and I may get a new computer.
Will let you know . Thank for everything.
oldfeller82

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I think I have 80MG on the computer now

I think you mean 80 gigs instead of 80 megs.

Increasing the size should be no problem but you need to make sure it is a IDE or a PATA as they are called.
SATA will not work so make sure the interface is the right type before purchasing anything. As far as I would recommend first of all it depends on what you can afford but brand wise I prefer WD by far.

oldfeller82

oldfeller82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hello RShaffer

I have found some hard drives at Tiger Direct and hopefully I will attach them to this message.Couldn't copy & paste it , But it's Western Digital, WD1600AAJB Caviar Blue hard drive, 160GB 3.5"HDD, 8 MB of buffer This is twice the size I have now "80GB".
They also have one with 320GB All other info same for both.
I couldn't find what size my existing hard drive is, This one is 3.5". Are they all the same size? If not how do I find the size? "Other than go in the computer and measure it".
I will order this as soon as I get your.
This drive is ATA-100 EIDE, Is this what I want?
Thank for all your help.
Stay cool.
oldfeller82

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

This drive is ATA-100 EIDE, Is this what I want?

Perfect

This one is 3.5". Are they all the same size? If not how do I find the size? "Other than go in the computer and measure it".

Desktops normally have 3.5 inch drives and laptops will have 2.5 inch drives.
What you are saying is the drive is the right dimensions and 160 gigs should be fine for you. :)

oldfeller82

oldfeller82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hello RShaffer61

Will get the hard drive and install it.
If Wally World has it I will do it today, If not I will order it for later. Now If I can solve the "Configuration" problem. Everyone "EXCEPT THE COMPUTER" says I don't need to configyre it as Windows does that automatically at startup. But the computer is not working that way.And I'm still looking for a dictionary of Computer terminology.
Will let you know before I spread this computerout on the operating table.
Thanks for the help.
oldfeller82

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Now If I can solve the "Configuration" problem. Everyone "EXCEPT THE COMPUTER" says I don't need to configyre it as Windows does that automatically at startup. But the computer is not working that way

What configuration problem are you asking about?
The OS will configure everything at default settings but there are some settings you have to do manually like the Video. Windows normally will setup at 800x600 depending on your graphics card so like me I like mine a lot smaller so I have to manually set it up.
Is that the kind of settings you are talking about?

oldfeller82

oldfeller82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hello RShaffer61

The type error that I am getting is as follows, "As usual I couldn't copy & paste it "

Log: 'Application' Log- Warning Log 'Application' Date/Time 25/07/2011 10:27:11 PM
Type : Warning category:0
Event:1517 Source : Userenv
Windows saved user USER\COMPUTER registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed.
The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.
This is often caused by services running as a user account, Try configuring the services to run in either the local Service or Network service account.

NOTE: When my son in law put this computer in here He listed me as administrator and registered the computer to me "AS USER" so I'm what they are talking about when user messes every thing up.

This next error I have gotten every night when shut down the computer since installing the new memory.

Type : information, Category 0
Event:26 source application popup
Application popup: HPQCPC01.EXE, Application error.
"The instruction at "0X774FDFDF" Referenced memory at "0X00000000"
The memory could not be read.

Then instructions for me to click OK to terminate the program.
Maybe this will clear up with the new hard drive

The Salesman at Tiger Direct said what I need to do before getting in to far over my head that I should clean up my computer.He's sending me a P C cleaner.
Let me know what you think.
Thank again as always for all you help and patience.
oldfeller82

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

hpqgpc01.exe file information

The process GPCore COM object

belongs to the software GPBaseService or HP Photosmart Premier or HP Driver Diagnostics or HP Smart Web Printing or HP Image Zone or Adobe AIR or HP Photo & Imaging or Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX or TurboTax 2008 WinPerProgramHelp or TurboTax 2009 WinPerFedFormset or OpenOffice.org or MSXML 4.0 SP2 and SOAP or HP Photo and Imaging 2.0 -

Do you have any of the above red highlighted programs installed?
If so we may need to disable them from starting to stop the shutdown issue.
As far as what TigerDirect is saying is that it sounds like he is suspecting a heat issue.

oldfeller82

oldfeller82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hello RShaffer61

To answer your question about the HP garbage, I have a Compaq Monitor, & A HP Photosmart C5580 all in one, Printer,Scanner,Copier. And all the red highlighted HP popups in your last message As I said earlier HP puts to much junk wit their products.
When I/We rebuild/update I am going to get rid of all HP products.
They are to much trouble to use and HP definitely doesn't have any decent help in "Total Care" , And even getting through to them is like pulling teeth.
I will disable them or uninstall them . Had a power outtage for almost 3 hours, So it will have to wait until tomorrow.
Thank you for all the help and advice.
oldfeller82

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:) I await your results.