Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New AC-adapter, cursor stutters

• Please log in to reply

Ace555

Ace555

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi

I have a problem with my laptop. Recently I purchased a new AC-adapter and I've had a few problems with it. After an hour or so of using the laptop while it's plugged in, my cursor becomes very unresponsive and starts to stutter. The very second I remove the AC-adapter, everything goes back to normal.
I had my earphones in the earphone jack and when I put the earphones in, I start to hear static. Even when the sound is muted/set to zero. Again, this problem occurs only when the AC-adapter is plugged in. But the problem doesn't occur after an hour of having plugged in the AC-adapter, it's instant.

I have set the settings for the on battery to be the same as on AC-adapter but that hasn't changed anything.
My old AC-adapter and the new one have the exact same output, of course.

Does anyone know what the problem may be?

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Sounds like a defective AC-adapter.

Ace555

Ace555

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
It seems to charge fine though. Could it be something else? Maybe a setting should be changed or a way to constrict the amount of output. I don't know, I'm just throwing out ideas.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Again, this problem occurs only when the AC-adapter is plugged in.

Could it be something else?

:) If the only time the problem occurs is when you use the new AC-adapter, then the problem is the new AC-adapter.

Solution: RMA the new AC-adapter for one that works correctly.

Ace555

Ace555

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Okay, here's the problem. They sent me one but it over heated after like 5 hours. They agreed to send another. If I ask for my money back they're going to think I'm trying to pull something.
I don't think they'll give me another one or return the money. What should I do?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Is it a genuine replacement component ie a Dell for a dell, Sony for Sony etc.
Dell in particular do not like cheaper generic replacements and often malfunction accordingly.

Ace555

Ace555

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I just did a search on the model number and bought what I found. My old one was a Toshiba Ac-adapter but this one is..well, I can't see any markings that indicate the brand name. The model number is the same. Would I still be able to get my money back?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
You should but, it depends on the honesty, integrity etc. of the company or person you bought it from.

Ace555

Ace555

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Okay, I did that and this is what they said:

We are so sorry to hear it.

We have tried to solve the problem by sending a new adapter to you,but it still has problem with your laptop.

We will tell you how to return the items and we will refund to you once we receive the returned items.

It is a common practice for online business, that the customer should return the bad item to seller, then seller will refund to customer.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards

Is the highlighted part true? And am I supposed to pay for the delivery fees?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Yes and yes. Be sure to insure it and get a return receipt (proof of delivery).

Ace555

Ace555

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Okay, thank you. I will insure it.
He said he'd pay for it.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Be sure and ask for a signed, return receipt. You may need proof that they received the returned item.