Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Change default Dvd drive

• Please log in to reply

jm1080

jm1080

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok so I've searched the web and found and tried alot of stuff can't get this to work for me. I have a Toshiba Satellite Laptop about 3 years old the dvd drive broke and I do NOT want to put a new one in it. I bought an external usb dvd drive hooked it up downloaded the software it works. I want to use my restore disk so I start up my laptop hit F12 go into the boot order change it to boot from usb it starts the recovery process get to the part where it wants you to insert the recovery disk and it pops open dvd drive on the laptop I have tried disabling the drive still did the same thing is there any way to set it to read from my usb as default instead of the drive on the laptop any help please? thank you.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi m1080 ... :) ..:unsure:

have you tried using the recovery partition...

jm1080

jm1080

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
no I have not how do i do that

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go to toshiba support here...click on the product support and do the 3 steps...download the manual...read until you find
the section titled Hard Drive Recovery Utilities..it will tell you how to get to it