Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Malwarebytes and Avast cannot find it

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Well, now I've got a problem. I started to download the service pack 3 from your link and it went almost all the way to completion. But right now it's stuck. It's in the process of finishing installation and cleaning up. There's about 10% more to do but it hasn't moved in over an hour. What should I do?

Advertisements

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Are there some sings of hard disk activity (noise and/or blinking led light)?

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Yes, the light's blinking and I can hear the computer humming.

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
As per their instructions, I also disabled Avast and that didn't make any difference.

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
OK. Just don't turn it off.

Run Task manager (by pressing keys CTRL+ALT+DEL at a same time) click on Processes tab and then on CPU and tell me what processes are on the first, second and third place.

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
System Idle Process cpu=61
update.exe cpu=29
iexplore.exe cpu=00

But now it's constantly moving and changing and different processing are moving in and out of first place and the cpu values are changing

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
OK. Just leave it to do whatever it's doing for hour or two.:)

I forgot to mention that on old machines that procedure can take quite a lot of time.

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
OK, I'll let you know later what it does.

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Quick question. I didn't sign on as administrator when I downloaded the service pack. Could that be it?

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
If you are logged in as catman3152 then you are administrator.

Advertisements

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
ok, yes.

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Still installing? :)

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
No, it finally finished and I've been trying a couple of music files that you suggested. Right now everything looks good. The only thing I noticed is it takes a good couple of minutes between starting up and completely opening Internet Explorer, other than that everything else looks pretty good. I do have one little nagging problem that someone else here tried to fix last year and we couldn't find a solution, but I can live with it. It's just annoying. I type a subject in the address bar and try and search and a page pops up saying the web page cannot be displayed. When I type in apple pie it converts to this http://apple%20pie/ and gives me the msg. But like I said it's no big problem.

Thank you Render, you did a great job! I appreciate your help!

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
I would recommend you to add more memory (RAM) to your computer - at least 2GB altogether should boost performance significantly.

I type a subject in the address bar and try and search and a page pops up saying the web page cannot be displayed. When I type in apple pie it converts to this http://apple%20pie/ and gives me the msg. But like I said it's no big problem.

I can't help you here as I'm using browser the old-fashioned way. :) So address bar only for typing in web addresses. For searching I use Google page.

I would like to see a fresh OTL log please to see if everything is as must be:

Posted Image OTL Custom Scan

• Double click on the Posted Image icon to run it.
  • Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • When the window appears, underneath Output at the top, make sure Stadard output is selected.
  • Check the boxes beside LOP Check and Purity Check.
  • Copy (select all lines inside quote box and press CTRL+C) and Paste (press CTRL+V) the following code into the Posted Image textbox.

netsvcs
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
    /md5start
    explorer.exe
    winlogon.exe
    Userinit.exe
    svchost.exe
    /md5stop
    %systemroot%\*. /mp /s
    hklm\software\clients\startmenuinternet|command /rs
    hklm\software\clients\startmenuinternet|command /64 /rs
    CREATERESTOREPOINT

• Click the Posted Image button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open OTL.Txt in Notepad window.
  • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the content of this file and post it with your next reply.

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I'm running the scan right now.

Is the new service pack requiring more power and that's why initial startup takes a while?

I was wondering, for future reference, what are the differences between an OTL scan/fix and the Combofix scan/fix?

And BTW, I noticed a huge improvement in how when the cursur drags over a link and shows the name there isn't any residual or a faint copy of the link name remaining when the cursur moves away. It seems all actions are a lot sharper, crisper and more precise.