Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Win 7 Anti Virus 2011" is blocking IE access

• Please log in to reply

GrahamH

GrahamH

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Hi

I cannot currently access IE after experiencing a flood of pop ups from "Win 7 Anti Virus 2011" which warn of ever more serious attempts to hack into my system and give dire warnings of credit card theft, corruption of files, theft of personal data etc, etc. It initiated an unprompted scan of my files and claims to have found 26 corrupted files and strongly advises me to register and purchase $60 worth of anti virus protection.

I ran a full scan on McAfee (pre-installed on my Dell laptop). This revealed no threats or issues and said my computer was secure, protection was active and no further action was required.

So, a) assuming these pop ups are a devise to frighten me into buying anti virus software I don't need, how do I get rid of them and regain access to IE, b) once back online, would I be better advised switching to a different web browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla or Firefox?

Many thanks

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found HERE. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here