Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Security Virus and who knows what else...grrrr

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

v.of.t.us

v.of.t.us

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hi guys me again.

And I'm embarressed to come back and ask for help. The last time I was here I promised I would pay it forward with my time. I honestly wanted to. I was waiting for my topic to close, to apply. While I was waiting I started taking a class which consumed my extra time, so I decided after I finished my class I would come back and apply. I finished my class last week, and here I am begging for help. I will be honest and up front I will not be able to apply to help out and pay it forward, I have to get a second job, so there goes my extra time. Anyway...

Here's the problem: I can't access anything on the Internet so I can't start the malware removal process.
At my day job one of the computer started acting a little weird last week, nothing to indicate an infiltration on the system, I suggested a disk clean up and defrag. When we came in Monday there was a message on the monitor; "Windows could not start because of an error in the software. Please report this problem as: Load needed DLLS for kernel. Please contact your support person to report this problem." I knew I would need to do a repair of the files from the original OS cd. I thought the system had the recovery/repair stuff on a separate partition on the HD, but I couldn't access it. I didn't have a CD my documentation indicated it wasn't provided with the system. I called Dell and ordered a recovery CD. Tonight in looking for something else I found the recovery cd for this system, so I did the repair. Yea! I had a desktop. The first thing I did was to check the Windows firewall was on, because I would need to access the internet to download all the updates. But I got the following box. "To help protect your computer windows has closed this program. Name; Generic Host Processes for Win32 Services, Publisher: Microsoft Corporation. My heart sank I had a terrible feeling this was going to be Virus related. Then "wah lah"! another box came up telling me XP Security has found viruses, (ah crap one of those stupid Rogue bugs). I've tried to stop it in the processes of the Task Manager, it isn't in the add and remove programs and it won't let me on the internet, well it lets me on but It takes me to a screen where it tells me visiting this page is dangerous, blah, blah, blah. I tried to get around it by going into safe mode, same thing there.

I can't get to anywhere on the internet to download MBAM, Eset Online Scanner, or rkill, or exe helper. Under the "Malware Removal Tools won't work tutorial", I followed the instructions on how to fix it when you can"t connect to the internet. The box for using a proxy server for your lan was already unchecked. I did manage to perform a scan with Symantec Endpoint Protection, it found tracking cookies, a virus and malware, supposedly got rid of them, but of course it hasn't, the stupid Rogue popup keeps coming up and I can't navigate on the internet (which is IE 6, no I can't update it either). Arghhhhh, please forgive me and help me.

Thank you.
Vilma (voft)

Advertisements

v.of.t.us

v.of.t.us

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
I really appreciate everything that is offered on this site, and I appreciate all the help I have received in the past.

As for this thread: The owner of the system wants me to reinstall the operating system (format the hard drive). Therefore I won't need assistance solving this issue.

Moderaterators, please close this thread.

Thank you.
Vilma (voft)