Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wuauclt trojan, concerned it's still lurking

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

expMarmoset

expMarmoset

• Pip
  • 2 posts
About a week ago I downloaded a virus that my antivirus recognized as a wuauclt trojan. I tried for several hours to remove it, but AVG antivirus was unable to delete all the infections and the ones that were deleted would replicate themselves between scans. Eventually I tried loading a previous system backup using the System Restore tool, then ran the AVG scan again. This time it revealed no infections, and I thought I had put the issue to rest. However today I was going through the C:i386 file on my computer and noticed a huge number of files that I never remembered being there before. So, I started to look up some of the file names in google and found that they were related to the virus. I am unable to delete the files, as when I try an error pops up saying that the file is in use. I'd really like to get my computer 100% clean, and to be sure that the virus is well and truly gone. Any help would be much appreciated. I'll attach the OTL scan results to this message.

Attached Files

• Attached File  OTL.Txt   76.37KB   132 downloads

Advertisements

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Hi, expMarmoset! Welcome to GeeksToGo! My nick name is Render and I will be assisting you with your Malware/Security problems. Please make sure you read all of the instructions and fixes thoroughly before continuing with them. If you have any queries or you are unsure about anything, just say and I'll help you out :)

It may well be worth you printing/saving the instructions throughout the fix, so you have them to hand just in case you are unable to access this site.

Please note:
  • Remember to post your logs, not attach them. So, any logs from any programs we run, should be just 'copied & pasted' into your reply.
  • Please only run the tools that I request. I know malware can be frustrating but running other tools in the meantime and between posts, only makes it harder for us to analyze and fix your PC in the long run.

Forum and helpers has been busy and we're sorry about the delay.

Besides this problem, do you have any other issues that point at malware?

Please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine.

Step 1

Posted Image GMER Rootkit Scanner

• Download GMER from HERE.
  • Extract the contents of zipped file to your desktop.
  • Double click GMER.exe.

Posted Image
  • If it gives you a warning about rootkit activity and asks if you want to run a full scan...click on NO, then use the following settings for a more complete scan..
  • In the right panel, you will see several boxes that have been checked. Ensure the following are UNCHECKED:
  • IAT/EAT
  • Drives/Partition other than Systemdrive (typically C:\)
  • Show All (don't miss this one)

NOTE - Not all of the tick boxes will be available if you are running a 64bit Operating System. You may also get an error message display on the screen when using a 64bit Operating System, this is normal, just click on OK and let it carry on.

Posted Image

• Then click the Scan button & wait for it to finish.
  • Once done click on the [Save..] button, and in the File name area, type in "ark.txt"
  • Save the log where you can easily find it, such as your desktop.
  • Please copy and paste the report into your Post.

Caution - Rootkit scans often produce false positives. Do NOT take any action on any "<--- ROOKIT" entries

Step 2

Posted Image OTL Custom Scan

• Double click on the Posted Image icon to run it.
  • Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • When the window appears, underneath Output at the top, make sure Stadard output is selected.
  • Check the boxes beside LOP Check and Purity Check.
  • Copy (select all lines inside quote box and press CTRL+C) and Paste (press CTRL+V) the following code into the Posted Image textbox.

netsvcs
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
    /md5start
    explorer.exe
    winlogon.exe
    Userinit.exe
    svchost.exe
    /md5stop
    %systemroot%\*. /mp /s
    hklm\software\clients\startmenuinternet|command /rs
    CREATERESTOREPOINT

• Click the Posted Image button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open OTL.Txt in Notepad window.
  • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the content of this file and post it with your next reply.

When completed the above, please post back the following in the order asked for:
  • GMER log
  • OTL scan log

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.