Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor Won't Work

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
We have a compaq Pc with a CRT monitor. It's about mmm... 4-5 years old. Recently the monitor started making the screen look tinted yellow. As if you had put sunglasses over the front of the entire screen.

It's been doing that for about 3 months (at least that's what my dad says). So I gave it a good whack and it looked better, like normal. After turning the monitor off, and back on, the yellow tint on the entire screen is back, though sometimes goes back into correct colors on it's own.

Now all of the sudden I go to turn it on today and the monitor makes these wavy horiztical lines, than goes back to normal, than 15 mins later it goes bad again tinted yellow. Just before I went to write this to ask for help I turned the Pc on and the monitor now turns off and on over and over without showing anything on the screen. It's not the cable signal believe you me. I work with cables everyday and know it can't be the rgb cable. I've wiggled it around a million times, and cleaned off the pins to no adue. Please help us it's a CRT tube old style monitor, someone said to try moving the ram. But why? I guess I could try that. I can hear the Pc turn on fine over our speakers. You can hear the windows intro sound, and outdo sound when I force shutdown by holding the tower's power button which is the only way to turn the tower off and on since I can "see" anything.

But nothing more came of it when I went to turn it on the monitor tonight and the [bleep] thing just turns on, than off, on than off. Nothing on the screen, you can hear it turn on and off. & when the Pc tower is off it just goes from the green led symbol on the monitor, to the yellow symbol without power cycling itslelf. Weird...

How do I fix this? Or do I need to buy a new monitor?

Edited by superstar, 05 May 2011 - 09:03 AM.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Whoever told you to remove the RAM is, sorry to say, naive - to put it nicely. This is clearly a graphics problem and with 99.9% certainty, this is a monitor problem. It sounds like the red or blue gun is failing in the monitor, thus leaving the screen awash in yellow.

For sure, the first thing to do is to try another monitor (or put that monitor on another computer). This will immediately eliminate, or point to the monitor as the cause.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
But than why does the monitor turn on fine (blank) when the pc tower is off with the green led on the monitor powered up and than going orange (still led)?

But if the Pc tower is on and than you turn the monitor on it just continuously power cycles itself endlessly as if your hitting the power button on and off over and over again on the monitor! (green led turning off and on with sound of monitor literally turning off and on)

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

But than why does the monitor turn on fine (blank) when the pc tower is off

Until you swap out this monitor as suggested above with another monitor, I can't answer that. If you put this CRT monitor on another computer and it does the same thing, then I can say, "because the monitor is hosed".

If you put another monitor on this PC and the 2nd monitor does the same thing, then I can say, "because the motherboard and/or it's graphics solution (card or integrated) is hosed."

In any case, a constant yellow tint across the screen of a CRT monitor is a classic indication of a gun failure and so it is almost a certainty, the CRT monitor is hosed anyway.

Or do I need to buy a new monitor?

That would be my guess.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Well than I guess I'll have to test a new monitor because I'm in my country visiting my parents farrrrrrrrr abroad and there's no way I can get another old or used monitor to test. If your almost certain it's the monitor I'll dish out the cash for a new one and try it out. I'm pretty sure it's the monitor too. Can't see why the integrated video card or mother board wold just go duff like that! Did I say thanks? If not thanks so far for the support. Hope we get to the bottom of this.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I have to agree with Digerati on his assessment of the issue. In probably 90% of the cases where the colors do as you are describing the color guns are shot in the monitor.
If i may is the video onboard or a add on card? If add on try plugging in to the onboard after removing the add on card. If onboard then try a different monitor or try your monitor on another system. :)

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
As I mentioned before it's onboard video. I have no other Pc to test it with. I am far off abroad right now. But willing to buy a new monitor if it's more than likely certain that it's the monitor failing.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Can't see why the integrated video card or mother board wold just go duff like that

Why does any electronics fail? Until Man can create perfection 100% of the time, there will always be parts that fail prematurely. My guess is that CRT is older than 5 years and electronics do wear out over time. Eventually all those electrons bouncing around creating friction/heat take their toll. And if the monitor was physically bounced, CRTs don't like that either.

No neighbor that would let you try their monitor? I would hate to lead you astray and say it is positively the monitor, but it sure looks like it from here. Without replacing the cable, you've done everything to prove that is not it. CRTs use red, blue and yellow guns, and to me, it sounds like the blue is gone. That could be the tube itself or the electronics controlling it - either way, not cost effective to repair.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
I got a monitor and it works great. Thanks so much for your help my friend I owe you one. I love this site you guys have always been a good family to me. I thought it was the monitor myself but just wanted to converse with my peers for a second opinion. I don't think too much of myself when it comes to computers. Speaking amongst eachother also helps us all stay "sharp".

PROBLEM SOLVED

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Glad to hear you got it resolved and it was the monitor in the end. Congrats for a successful resolution to your issue. :yes: :unsure: :) :)

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Glad you got it sorted out.

just wanted to converse with my peers

I don't think too much of myself when it comes to computers

:unsure: :)

Did you get a LCD monitor? If so, then you will also save some money in power consumption and air conditioning.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Truth is my mothers friend spoke to her on the phone, got wind of the situation, and brought by her 2nd hand crt screen she doesn't use anymore. Monitor works fine, but boy is it somewhat blurry. Does anyone know how I can sharpen a monitor that has no sharpen settings on the front buttons?

I've tried the generic display properties in xp's desktop menu. But no where can I find a sharpen setting. It's an onboard video card... It could use some sharpening as the text is somewhat blurry. It's an XPX branded monitor so being that no one's ever heard of that brand I'm not surprised!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Monitor brand name and model would help :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 28 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.