Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video card failing?

• Please log in to reply

mozzer11

mozzer11

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
I've just started to have this problem where when I startup my PC, it seems to load normally but then after the WIndows XP loading screen it shows a blank blue screen and then the monitor says no signal. The computer cotinues to run while it does this. Strangely, I can only get in to windows by entering the bios and then exiting it. After this the pc loads normally. Anyone have any idea what is causing it? Thanks.
EDIT:
I've just recently had this kind of thing -
http://imageshack.us...71/videoph.jpg/

Edited by mozzer11, 06 May 2011 - 12:34 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi mozzer11
When the computer is running ok have you checked the device manager for any components that may have a yellow exclamation mark or red X by them?
Do you have the latest drivers for your video card http://support.amd.c...s (PCI-Express) it is possible the card is using Windows drivers.
Your specs list a 80GB WD HDD, is this correct and if so how much storage space is available?

mozzer11

mozzer11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Hi, thanks for the reply.
The only thing with an exclamation mark in device manager is 'Audio Device on High Definition Bus'. My audio is working fine, so I don't know what that is.
I've got the latest ATI drivers for my card.
My hard drive is 80gb and it has 51gb free.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Try stress testing your GFX card with http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/ let us know the results.

The only thing with an exclamation mark in device manager is 'Audio Device on High Definition Bus'

This may be the HD audio on your GFX card (if applicable) if audio is working ok anyway I would leave it as it is.
That is plenty of space on the HDD so unless it has another issue I would discount that as the issue for now.
See how the GFX card test goes for now, we may then need to look at the Ram and PSU.

mozzer11

mozzer11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Hi.
I installed an older version of the catalyst drivers and it seems to have sorted it.
Now I have another problem!
On startup the hard drive seems to cut out and I get a blue screen with the error:
"STOP: C000021a (fatal system error)
Windows Logon Process Terminated Unexpectedly with the status of 0xC0000034"

I did an XP repair and was able to get back on. Will the error appear again if I reboot?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

I did an XP repair and was able to get back on. Will the error appear again if I reboot?

Hard to say, see possible causes below:

The STOP 0xC000021A error occurs when either Winlogon.exe or Csrss.exe fails. When the Windows NT kernel detects that either of these processes has stopped, it stops the system and raises the STOP 0xC000021A error. This error may have several causes. Among them are the following:
Mismatched system files have been installed.
A Service Pack installation has failed.
A backup program that is used to restore a hard disk did not correctly restore files that may have been in use.
An incompatible third-party program has been installed

Full article and possible solutions @ http://support.microsoft.com/kb/156669