Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is this Fast?

• Please log in to reply

Tommy Timebomb

Tommy Timebomb

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi,
I have a machine that I'm more than happy with but I would like to know if my processors of which there are two (not as in dual core)are yesterdays news or can still hold thier own.
I see the adverts for laptops on TV etc and get confused with all the new processors out there, some of which seem quite impressive at first sight.

I do not have a laptop but a big old workstation that my mate gave me.
I thought with this machine I could conquer the world but after buying a game it seems that its the Graphic card that lets me down but i will be upgrading soon.

I cannot understand the comparison sites, maybe someone has a link to an idiots guide one??

I have a HP XW8000 if this means anything to someone out there but it is the cpu's I'm questioning.
TIA,
Tom

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi Tommy Timebomb

I have a HP XW8000 if this means anything to someone out there but it is the cpu's I'm questioning.

Can you elaborate on what you wish to know!

Tommy Timebomb

Tommy Timebomb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
What defines a good processor.,
Is mine which is a Pentium 4 I believe a run of the mill in today's world or is a duel processor better.
Is there not a chart out there somewhere where I can gauge its performance against a clarion for example.

Seeing a cpu is one of the major players in a pc performance how can i judge what caliber of one I have.
There are so many out there now days that it seems you need a degree to understand this...
Or is it just marketing hype.

Is the speed ie 3.6 all I need to know?

The make of my machine is obviously not relevant to the question but upon reading the intro of posting tips it stated that posting the system you have is helpful, and also I was wondering if someone out there may be familiar with the machine and it's setup, but that was just off cuff. My processor question is what I am asking.

Edited by Tommy Timebomb, 07 May 2011 - 10:51 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This might help HERE

Rediah

Rediah

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Hello Tommy Timebomb: :unsure:

It is dependent on usage i.e. Business, Entertainment, Gaming... as each of these may require further going in depth to pick up the right choice

Let me explain through an example. Let's assume I deliver newspaper, I need to buy a vehicle for this purpose and that would be the only one I want to keep. Should I buy BMW 760Li Sedan (I am not short of cash) - would it be a wise decision? :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

What defines a good processor.,

This question has various answers, Intel and AMD both produce good processors, what type of core better suites your needs depends on how many tasks you require to be running at any one time, you may only use 1 of the dual cores for a large % of the time.

Is there not a chart out there somewhere where I can gauge its performance against a clarion for example

Sorry can`t help you with this question as I have no knowledge of clarion, celeron, yes.

Seeing a cpu is one of the major players in a pc performance how can i judge what caliber of one I have.

Download http://www.filehippo...ownload_speccy/ this will give any information you need about your system with the exception of the output of the PSU, let us know what the scan reports, cpu and ram speeds etc.

There are so many out there now days that it seems you need a degree to understand this...
Or is it just marketing hype.

Again the amount of cores required depends on the amount and type of useage, there is no point in having a quad core CPU for internet shopping, the marketing hype is normally aimed at power users and hard core gamers.

Is the speed ie 3.6 all I need to know?

Yet again depends on the intended use, a 2.2GHz dual core CPU can carry out twice as many tasks as a same speed single core CPU, also worth mentioning is there must be an equal balance of Ram for the CPU to function efficiently.

Tommy Timebomb

Tommy Timebomb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Thanks for the info people,
I'm getting more confused here already, I stated that I have a P4 at some point but its a Xeon?

I will try to get my head around the chart in the link and also ponder on the BMW answer.

I am just happy with my machine so far and thats all that counts.
Some things are best unasked sometimes :)
Thanks all.

Tommy Timebomb

Tommy Timebomb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Sorry Phillpopwer2 your post arrived whilst I was replying.

I will look into what you have said, there seems to be plenty for me to get my teeth into.
Thank you.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Is there not a chart out there somewhere where I can gauge its performance against a clarion for example

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/processors,6.html

I thought with this machine I could conquer the world but after buying a game it seems that its the Graphic card that lets me down but i will be upgrading soon.

Not surprising. While CPU horsepower is a major contributing factor in overall performance, graphics oriented programs (like games) benefit most from a good graphics solution AND a decent supply of RAM.

Tommy Timebomb

Tommy Timebomb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Well Photoshop and video editing are my main hobby's and I used to hook up my radio receivers and do a bit of decoding a while back so I should imagine I put the machine through it's paces now and again.
Cheers :)

Advertisements

Rediah

Rediah

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Hi Tommy Timebomb:

Again to create more confusion :) please type msinfo32 in Run/Search to get complete system specification

Tommy Timebomb

Tommy Timebomb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Thanks for the link to "Speccy", It's strange as I seem to of gone full circle... I downloaded this earlier on today and it was this that prompted my curiosity about all this.
I cannot understand all the data that would help but I post what i think may be relevant...
I have two of these..
Intel Xeon
Cores 1
Threads 1
Name Intel Xeon
Code Name Prestonia
Package Socket 604 mPGA
Technology 0.13um
Specification Intel® Xeon™ CPU 3.06GHz
Family F
Extended Family F
Model 2
Extended Model 2
Stepping 9
Revision D1
Instructions MMX, SSE, SSE2
Virtualization Unsupported
Hyperthreading Not supported
Fan Speed 2209 RPM
Bus Speed 132.9 MHz
Rated Bus Speed 531.6 MHz
Stock Core Speed 3066 MHz
Stock Bus Speed 133 MHz

And as for ram...
Memory slots
Total memory slots 6
Used memory slots 4
Free memory slots 2
Memory
Type DDR
Size 2048 MBytes
Physical Memory
Memory Usage 35 %
Total Physical 1.99 GB
Available Physical 1.28 GB
Total Virtual 1.99 GB
Available Virtual 1.91 GB
SPD
Number Of SPD Modules 4
Slot #1
Slot #2
Slot #3
Slot #4
I ran the msinfo32 but did not want to overload this thread with non relevant info and I wouldn't of known what I was looking at anyway.
I appreciate the help and am supplying this as requested.
From what little I can understand I think I have plenty of whats required(excuse my ignorance)but thought I would finish with uploading this.
Thanks once again.
Tom. :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
A suggestion for the video card upgrade http://www.amazon.co...04796300&sr=1-7
More Ram would be good also, it appears you have 4 X 512MB sticks fitted, consider upgrading to 3-4GB dependent on your OS.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

All specs and configurations for the HP Workstation xw8000 > http://h18000.www1.h...a/11506_na.HTML

Your memory upgrade options, > http://www.buycomput...0MemoryRAM.html

Tommy Timebomb

Tommy Timebomb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Thanks for the info,
I think the machine is worth spending a few bob on to upgrade, it is a bit of a big lump but seems a quality build.
The only problem that I have is doing a fresh install onto a scsi drive.

I install the controller at the f6 prompt and then it freezes up halfway down the line during the drivers install.
I'll keep this problem aside for a rainy day.
Thanks again.