Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Not Sure What's Wrong

• Please log in to reply

Moodsa

Moodsa

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Everyone,

I'm new here so please bare with me.

A few years ago I was quite hands on managing my computer issues, and competent enough to resolve some basic problems. Now unfortunately I'm not as competent as I purely don't have time to maintain it.

So the problem I'm having is relatively new and it's been building up for a few days before I've decided to post here.

I'm having issues at times rebooting the computer, with it taking forever to switch off also. The other issue is chrome seems to be crashing alot lately, making me think there is a problem and malware infection on my computer. I've had problems where ctrl alt delete doesn't work, and even task manager is freezing. Antivirus doesn't suggest a problem either.

Now, if anyone could tell me a series of steps to diagnose the issue and any methods to correct it i'd be highly appreciative. I used to enjoy doing this, but now I don't even know what basic utilities I should run to ensure smooth running of my computer!

This may have been posted on the wrong forum, for which I apologise.

Advertisements

Moodsa

Moodsa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Forgot to add that I'm thinking of doing a restore from back up CDs. And delete all the old software, but I still want to ensure that I have the correct software if I were to start a fresh. Like which antivirus, firewall and other basic software such as registry cleaners, that I should have. This however would be last resort.

One of the most annoying things for me is that despite have a system with 4gb memory and dual core processor, it has gradually slowed down, probably because of all the junk start up and useless registry files. So recommendation appreciated.